Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZTL2 worth it over ZTL1 ?

ZTL2 worth it over ZTL1 ?

Hi all.

I have a Buell XB9SX from 2005. Great bike... Except the front rotor which tends to get wrapped. So in order to solve this, I ordered an EBR 5mm brake disc + the hardware mounting kit.
    I am about to pull the trigger on a ZTL2 brake (master cylinder + brake line kit + brake caliper) to go with it. But, well, it is very expensive. about 500€ + shipping from USA (I am french and live in France). So it would costs me arround $750 including shipping, taxes and everything.
    So I am wondering if it is worth it over ZTL1 which is already a very good brake. It would be mounted with the brand new EBR rotor
    What do you think ?

Thank you very much !

Thanks for your answer. So yes, street rider only.

But Lunatic! It’s all about unsprung weight and how the inertia of that rotating mass effects the performance of the motorcycle!
    That would have been my main focus if I was part of the Buell xb design team.
    Especially considering the superior power plant that the xb posseses! The rest of the bike had to be cutting edge in order to match the superior performance of the space age air cooled v-twin.

And I agree, the brakes look cool, but they really do suck.

I enjoy mine as a conversation piece. My first ride on a Ducati I nearly put myself over the bars lol, ok not really but lunatic is on the money there

I disagree, and think the ZTL-2 upgrade is totally worth it. If your "street riding" is making your rotor warp, you need an upgrade.

It bolts on and IDS has been selling the ZTRL-2 calipers for as cheap as $150 stateside including pads! A 19mm master cylinder is the only other thing you need and they are cheap, either stock or aftermarket (radial style).

I did the upgrade on my '08 STT and the difference was HUGE.

I did the same on my 08, I love the feel of the additional braking force well worth the $$. If I am not mistaken the 09 & 10 came with ZTRL-2 calipers as OEM 2006 - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 07-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    But Lunatic! It’s all about unsprung weight and how the inertia of that rotating mass effects the performance of the motorcycle!
    That would have been my main focus if I was part of the Buell xb design team.
    Especially considering the superior power plant that the xb posseses! The rest of the bike had to be cutting edge in order to match the superior performance of the space age air cooled v-twin.

And I agree, the brakes look cool, but they really do suck.
    Carlos you really crack me up!!!! LMFAO!!

Hands down the coolest looking brake setup out there, hands down the worst performing brake setup I've ever squeezed a lever on. To me for the street it's not worth the upgrade! It's your money though not mine! This is coming from a guy that has to brake a bike down from 158+mph down to around 87 mph lap after lap, all in about 85ft before turning in.
    Last edited by wickedchop; 07-10-2018 at 08:57 PM.

If I was on the track yes I would think about it, but for the street no. Don't feel like taking something off that works just fine for the street.

Banned
    ZTL 2 is better because of it has bigger brake pads surface area and this setup lasts longer, needs less maintenance. One set of brake pads for ZTL 2 lasts same time as 4 sets of ZTL 1 brake pads. So this is huge upgrade.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast