Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: ZTL2 worth it over ZTL1 ?

When you say you have to pull the lever much more, do you mean lever has to travel longer distance before engaging or do you have to pull it harder?

Bike looks great BTW

Thanks !

definitly not harder ! I could pull it with one finger only
    The lever has to travel longer distance before hard braking. But, it is "soft braking" right after I begin to pull the lever.

(I hope my english is understandable on that sentance :-D)

What kind of brake pads did you go with?
    And you english is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cossack84 View Post
    What kind of brake pads did you go with?
    And you english is fine.
    Dont know... The brake pads that came with the ZTL2 caliper part number H1110.1AMZT (from St Paul HD).
    I guess those are the guenuine Buell brake pads ?
    edit : looks like those pads are nissin pads, Buell part : H0300.1AMB
    Last edited by Niklos; 03-09-2019 at 04:34 PM.

I finally had a chance to really try my bike with the new brake... Damn I dont have enough time to do stuff !
    Anyways. I feel like the feeling is completely different between old and new brake.
    With ZTL and buell rotor, I feel like it was braking more without to pull the lever to much
    With ZTL2 and EBR rotor (+EBR fixing kit), I feel like I have to pull more the lever but it is also a lot easy not to brake too much. The feeling is much much better !

So, was it worth it ? Hell no.
    Do I regret anything ? Of course not ! It looks way better !! And the brake is also improved !

OH that's cool then !
    How long is it gonna take ?

Quote Originally Posted by Niklos View Post
    I finally had a chance to really try my bike with the new brake... Damn I dont have enough time to do stuff !
    Anyways. I feel like the feeling is completely different between old and new brake.
    With ZTL and buell rotor, I feel like it was braking more without to pull the lever to much
    With ZTL2 and EBR rotor (+EBR fixing kit), I feel like I have to pull more the lever but it is also a lot easy not to brake too much. The feeling is much much better !

So, was it worth it ? Hell no.
    Do I regret anything ? Of course not ! It looks way better !! And the brake is also improved !
    If you had to redo, would you stick with the same set up or try a different master cylinder instead? Something like Brembo RCS15 to improve the feel and control?

Quote Originally Posted by cossack84 View Post
    If you had to redo, would you stick with the same set up or try a different master cylinder instead? Something like Brembo RCS15 to improve the feel and control?
    Honnestly... I dont know. Here are the 2 reasons :
    1) I haven't the time to ride my bike enough. I used it only twice since the "mod" is done...
    2) Well, without trying a brembo MC, I can't tell.
    The right way to do this would be to buy a brembo MC and test it, so I would know if it is better or not. But, well, that MC costs 300€ whereas the Buell ZTL2 MC cost me like 150€. So, if I could have tried both before buying anything, and if it is way better than the stock one, I would buy the brembo MC.

So, well, I guess the answer to your question is : I would do the same now with what I have tried so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Niklos View Post
    Honnestly... I dont know. Here are the 2 reasons :
    1) I haven't the time to ride my bike enough. I used it only twice since the "mod" is done...
    2) Well, without trying a brembo MC, I can't tell.
    The right way to do this would be to buy a brembo MC and test it, so I would know if it is better or not. But, well, that MC costs 300€ whereas the Buell ZTL2 MC cost me like 150€. So, if I could have tried both before buying anything, and if it is way better than the stock one, I would buy the brembo MC.

So, well, I guess the answer to your question is : I would do the same now with what I have tried so far.
    Great answer Niklos, thanks.

You are welcome !
    There is another thing about that I forgot. I don't know where you are from, but, in France, You are not allow to do any mod on the brakes. Actually, even changing brake pads with non Buell guenuine one is "illegal". That mean if you have an accident, the insurance could tell : This is not the way the bike was when it was tested by the country, it is illigal to drive with it, you don't have any insurance.
    Fortunatly, the assurances and the cops don't care about the brake pads but they definitly DO care about changing the MC and caliper. I had to go to a special insurance to be be able to get my motorcycle insured. But, still, the cops can give me a ticket because my bike is not the way it was at the beginning.
    For that special insurance to work, I had to send some pictures and bills of parts and mounting of the mod to an insurance expert that says if that mod is supposed to be safe for street riding or not.
    Back to the Brembo MC : The mod I have done uses only guenuine Buell parts and is actually used on latest buell XB (except the rotor), so the expert could tell easily that this mod is definitly safe as the state did the test of the XB12 2010 which has the same brake system and is pretty much the same bike as the XB9 I have. So if it was fine on the XB12 2010, it is probably fine and safe for street rider on an XB9 2005. If I had used a brembo part, maybe that expert could have said, "Hey, I don't know if that is safe or not => No insurance for you".

Anyways, using guenuine buell parts is probably safer if I don't want to have problems with cops and insurance. Especially in case of an accident.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast