Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank ECM

Blank ECM

If I buy a blank ECM, can I load my currently saved eeprom to the blank ECM and be good to go? Or do I need to get an ECM with map's already installed and just burn my maps to the new one?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to flash maps on a blank ECM. There won't be any content to overwrite, but it should still write. As long as the ECM is compatible with ECMspy it should work.

Personally I would send both to ids, I think that's their name if I am wrong someone will chime in. They are the ones that did buells ecm's. This way if something gets messed up they will fix. If you mess up your f-ed. Just my 2 cents. Why do you ask is yours messed up or something? The last thing you want to do is brick your new ECM.
    Last edited by rchuff; 07-10-2018 at 07:02 PM.

It depends on your Eeprom. What type of file is it? What program did you use to save it? Why do you need a new ECM? It is SUPER rare the actual box has an issue besides physically cracking under a low Uly seat.

All the ECM are "compatible" with all the manipulation programs ECMDroid, ECMSpy, TunerPro, Etc.

A "New" ECM will have the BUE2D firmware on it, so even if it is "blank", so the same rules apply. The firmware that your file has, must match.

FYI. SPHDOnline now sells new ECM's with stock programs on them.

I have been having an issue with my lightning, where the engine will cut out for a second then back to normal and the engine light will come on then go off. It seemed to be getting more frequent. One time the fuel pump wouldn't prime when trying to start it, checked under the seat, then it started. Going to work one morning, it just died, it didn't cut out, no engine light. Got it going and took it back home. I've checked the wiring for chaffing and bare wires but haven't found anything.

I swapped the ECM for the one from of my Ulysses. Burnned my maps and tps reset, about 200 miles later I haven't had a single issue. I plan to put the suspect ecm in the Ulysses and see if the issue pops up with it but haven't yet. I'm just trying to get an idea of what is needed if I have to go down that route.

I saved the eeprom using ecmspy, I'm not sure the type of file.

Inactive
    I have been having an issue with my lightning, where the engine will cut out for a second then back to normal and the engine light will come on then go off. It seemed to be getting more frequent. One time the fuel pump wouldn't prime when trying to start it, checked under the seat, then it started. Going to work one morning, it just died, it didn't cut out, no engine light. Got it going and took it back home. I've checked the wiring for chaffing and bare wires but haven't found anything.

classic failing ecm. betting you have the below historical trouble codes stored as well. this is assuming your stock 10 amp ecm fuse in the fuse box does NOT have dirty/corroded female lugs that it engages. see historical fault codes below.

52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure

There's no codes listed when I scan for codes.

Sounds like power/ground failure because of broken wire to me. Would explain the CEL lit (self-test) and why no codes are stored.

I agree with both these guys ^^^^^

Is there any physical damage to the box? Cracked by the plugs? Either way, it's a safe bet to just replace it. Having a bike lose power at the wrong time can be deadly.

The ecm looks ok, no noticeable cracks or damage. Maybe this weekend I will be able to install the ecm in my Ulysses and see if the issue pops up. If it does then I will know it is the ecm. I will give an update when I find the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast