Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 fuel pump housing/sending unit design

2003 fuel pump housing/sending unit design

I have been doing some research, and it appears that my 2003 lightning fuel pump housing has a different design then the later models. Does anybody know why this is so?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Buell Fuel Pump Assembly.JPG

What do you think is different about it? Do you have any pictures. Attached is a picture of my 07, XB12STT fuel pump assembly, (waiting on a new low fuel level sensor).

I pulled this picture off the web, but it is the same exact one that is in my bike.

buell fuel pump.jpg

The hose on my pump is a convoluted, flexible Teflon PTFE hose. Its pressure rated, extremely durable and long lived. The component arrangement is a little different on your assembly but the biggest difference appears to be the fuel hose. It looks like rubber fuel line.

The stock hose on my assembly was kind of clear/white in color and a little over 6" long. The hose from the aftermarket rebuild kit sellers is about 8-1/2" long and black. It fits in the tank just fine so the extra 2" is not a big deal.

I think the PTFE hose is a big improvement.

I was concerned that the pump design was causing my pressure issues, I contacted harley and they said no recalls were made on my bike. I have replaced my fuel pump and regulator and I'm only getting 44 psi, I am going to order a genuine buell regulator and hopefully I can get the pressure up to 50 ish PSI.

Did you replace the rubber fuel hose? Its been in the tank for 15 years. If not you should do so. It needs to be replaced with an Ethanol resistant hose similar to this one. https://www.amazon.com/Continental-E.../dp/B000C4LSTG (verify diameter before ordering). Hoses meeting SAE standard J30R9 are usually ethanol resistant. Who knows your pressure loss could be seepage through the hose body, they don't last forever.

When installing the new Ethanol resistant hose use pex clamps. The tool is only $20 on ebay. Do the job right and you should be good to go for a long time.

I will do that, I did inspect the hoses and they did not seem broke or cracked.
    Thanks

I would replace pump and regulator witch you did, the sock and filter plus hoses. This way you know everything is new and you don't have to pull it back out.

Thanks guys, I went a head and ordered a genuine regulator LOL which are no cheap! I already installed a new filter, so the only thing left is the hoses.

Replaced, recrimped hoses, replaced regulator and now I have 50 PSI!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast