Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's finally road worthy

It's finally road worthy

After 2 months to the day I have fixed enough sh*t to make this roadworthy. I purchased this 2006 SS after I first waited an entire month before negotiating with the seller. I was hesitant on making the leap based on initial inspection, but decided screw it I'll just fix whatever it needs. I rode it briefly right after purchase to give it a shake down before tearing into it. It still needs a full top end gasket kit, but that will wait until next winter. For now I'm just waiting on receipt of an inner stone guard, and a set of TechSpec grippers. A busy life puts a damper on getting things done in a timely manner. I wrench all my own stuff, so it tends to take longer.

Thus far I replaced...

rear wheel bearings
    rear tire
    rear brake pads
    idler pulley bearings
    belt
    rear sprocket
    front wheel bearings
    front tire
    front rotor
    front brake pads
    Renthal ultra low bars
    Oury grips
    mirrors

and a big THANK YOU to John (Lunatic) for some parts and advice

of course pics or it didn't happen...

Banned
    How do you know it needs top end gaskets kit?

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    How do you know it needs top end gaskets kit?
    Because the rear base gasket shows sign of blowby, both push rod covers show signs of leaking. I been around HDs long enough to know the signs. I'm not worried about it right now though.

My old shop teacher always said "it ain't a leak if it doesn't touch the ground"

Looking good! Get some miles on that pretty thing

*And it's not a "Harley". It's a Buell.

Looks great! And, I get what you mean about it taking longer doing your own wrenching coupled with a busy life...two months is pretty darn good. Is the writing on your tire sidewalls tinted? Or is that just the way the light is reflecting off them? It looks pretty cool with the rest of the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    Looks great! And, I get what you mean about it taking longer doing your own wrenching coupled with a busy life...two months is pretty darn good. Is the writing on your tire sidewalls tinted? Or is that just the way the light is reflecting off them? It looks pretty cool with the rest of the bike!
    I used a silver paint pen to color the letters. Next set of tires I'll pay a 10 spot for a child to do it.

Inactive
    and a big THANK YOU to John (Lunatic) for some parts and advice

that's a beauty! love red bikes and that turned out wonderfully. you should be proud of all that work and the results. well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    My old shop teacher always said "it ain't a leak if it doesn't touch the ground"

Looking good! Get some miles on that pretty thing

*And it's not a "Harley". It's a Buell.
    It's got the heart of a Harley

Really nice bike!!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    It's got the heart of a Harley
    The engine architecture, no argument there. But with the extensive time and engineering put into the ones in the Buells (especially the Thunderstorm), I think Erik would take offense to that

Ironically, I've never had much issues with my Buells leaking. The '09 Sporty always marked it's territory. Odd for having 'the same engine'.... I'm sure it's in the DNA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast