Thread: Lunatic and other gurus come in please (getting my 12scg back on the road)

Lunatic and other gurus come in please (getting my 12scg back on the road)

Hey all,

Been a while since I've been on (not that I posted much when I did frequent) and now I'd like to ask for a little help... Ok, hang on while I put my flame suit on....

Alright, here's the sitrep; I have an '09 12scg with about 25k on the clock, fairly well maintained and was running pretty damn good when life got in the way and it wound up sitting in the garage (getting started occasionally). Fast forward about a year and a half (maybe a shave longer), my daughter is buying her first bike this Friday (found a great deal on an '03 SV650 w/ 7400 on the clock) and wants dad to go riding with her so I need to get my baby (bike, not daughter) up and running. I'm not a mechanic but can muddle through most anything, already know I need a new battery, brake pads (I'll PM you Lunatic), plugs and fluid change but what else would you all suggest I do/check for a bike that has been sitting a while? Your input is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thanks.

Jim

Inactive
    the following will get you up and running jim:
    1-remove airbox cover and check for vermin activity. mice etc etc love XB air boxes.
    2-replace battery. go for 220 CCA's. in the AGM world deka absolutely the best. will send best pricing link upon request.
    3-air up tires. 34 front/36 rear close enough.
    4-fill to brim with fresh premium fuel
    5-check ALL fluid levels carefully including F&R m/cyl levels.
    6-with red-run switch OFF....new battery installed....turn key to on. gauges must sweep....CEL must cycle thru and extinguish
    if all good to this point turn red-run switch to on and cross fingers. fuel pump cycle thru and charge system? if so start up and see how it sounds. should be fine. check for oil pressure light to extinguish. if no start report back.

Much appreciated!!! May be a couple weeks for the report, had an A/C service tech at the house yesterday, and I'm paying for my daughter's riding class. What about injector cleaner and what's you opinion on "seafoam"?
    Also planning on a full bearing replacement just to be safe

Inactive
    What about injector cleaner and what's you opinion on "seafoam"?

TEABAG loves and adores it....which means i hate it and never use it.

Well alrighty then.....lol

I'll hold off on that then

Inactive
    something else came to mind that is always over-looked in the "wet-clutch" world. your clutch plates are going to be lightly stuck together....simplest way i can explain it. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT get bike up and running and then prep for your ride around the block by sitting still and dropping it into 1st gear. HELL on transmissions and have actually seen shift drums shear in half from something this idiotic. start it....get heat in motor...get on bike....paddle with your feet till you get to walking speed then drop it into 1st gear. keep clutch disengaged and gently blip the throttle a few times. this will free up the plates and get the lube circulating around the clutch pack. you roger that?????????????

Sea Foam.... made by engineers for engineers...
    TEA BAG.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    something else came to mind that is always over-looked in the "wet-clutch" world. your clutch plates are going to be lightly stuck together....simplest way i can explain it. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT get bike up and running and then prep for your ride around the block by sitting still and dropping it into 1st gear. HELL on transmissions and have actually seen shift drums shear in half from something this idiotic. start it....get heat in motor...get on bike....paddle with your feet till you get to walking speed then drop it into 1st gear. keep clutch disengaged and gently blip the throttle a few times. this will free up the plates and get the lube circulating around the clutch pack. you roger that?????????????
    Yes sir I do!!!! Thanks a million!!!!