Thread: Can't hit rev limiter in gear

Can't hit rev limiter in gear

Hello all. I have an 03 P3 I recently picked up. I have the engine fairly sorted after replacing the boot and closing the hole the PO drilled in the exhaust (with no re-jetting or air box mod, idiot). Still a bit lean, occasional backspit at steady throttle or mild crackle on deceleration, but close.

My issue is that I can't hit the limiter in any gear but first and even then it takes forever. The bike tops out at 60mph exactly. Again, not rev limited just won't go any more. No real power in fourth or fifth. Primary does a hard chain snatch on take off. Hard to shift, never passes neutral, false neutrals. I've adjusted the clutch and tried adjusting the primary i don't know how many times (why is there no inspection window on this bike, wtf?) But no mater where I set it I still get the exact same top speed. Not like I'm big, I weigh about 120lb.

Please, any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by raithe; 07-12-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Autocorrect sucks

First - post this over on buellridersonline.com - that place is full of Blast owners and jetlee and ezblast are probably the two most knowledgeable individuals on the planet concerning this bike.

Alternately, Erick over on Badweb (gearheaderiko I believe) is tied in that regard.

My first inclination, hearing your symptoms, is that your primary needs some kind of attention. Typically Blasts with problems at higher speeds have too tight of a primary chain. You say you've adjusted it; however, how have you adjusted it? If you get the bike warm and have it running (you might need someone's help if your safeties are all still wired), then tighten the adjuster until you hear the engine change pitch (bit of a whine), then back it out 15-18 flats. Some (EZ) will have you back it out at least 20 flats. Alternately, back the bolt out until you hear a gravelly "box of rocks" sound begin. Then tighten the bolt 2-3 flats up from that and call it good.

As a personal example, on my bike, I can't get the chain loose enough to get the 'box of rocks' sound. That bothered me greatly until EZ told me that my chain was probably 'naturally' at the correct tension. I settled on tightening it until the whine started, then backing off 22 or so flats.
    Last edited by vicenzajay; 07-16-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Any update on this?