Thread: New Buell Owner Here 2005 XB9S

Cool New Buell Owner Here 2005 XB9S

HI!

I'm excited to say I own a Buell as of today. Got 'er for a cheap price, as she's a fixer upper, but that's exactly what I wanted. Engine roars real nice, and it's a smooth ride from what I can tell in the 30 miles I rode it home.

I'm posting here to get any advice for owning a Buell;

• What do I need to make sure is secure the most?
    • Any advice on specific engine mount grommets?
    • Anything I need to know about this bike in particular?
    • Throttle is sticky; is this a common issue, and what's a good fix? Has bar end mirrors.

The plan is to spend the next couple months fixing things up, possibly rebuilding EVERYTHING, and add a few upgrades (gauge cluster, led headlights, Powder coat the frame, etc...)

Thank you in advance for any and all advice! I look forward to getting to know some of you!

Wheel bearings, wheel bearings,, wheel bearings, make sure they are smooth when rotating and that the seals, are in place ! If you take the wheels off, repack them or, replace them, be careful when reinstalling the rear wheel as it can be a little tricky. WATCH YOUR OIL LEVEL, make sure you check it correctly and, do not over fill it. When replacing any of the drain plugs, just snug them up do not go by the OM stated torque settings as they are WRONG, always double check. The engine mounts should not be sagging, especially the front. Down load the shop manual, it's free ! Do not, do not, do not blip the throttle at stops. Always let her warm up good before taking off.

I'm sure I left stuff out but the all knowing will come on and add other stuff !

Welcome aboard and good luck !

Oh, yeah, very important, never, never, never, take any advice from the teabag, you will be trolled by him !

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Oh, yeah, very important, never, never, never, take any advice from the teabag, you will be trolled by him !
    HAHA!!! I already saw him in a couple other posts, and the disgruntled moans that followed.

Thanks for the info, I've got to give this bike some serious TLC over the next couple weeks/months, cause the last owner locked it up for a year.
    So happy to get to wrenching again!

Saw your post on reddit... Got any more pics of the CF airbox that it came with?

Congrats again on the bike!

Pics

Thanks! Here's some pics, not too certain angle you're wanting to see (https://imgur.com/a/9vPkU0S)

Bike needs some work done, lost first gear (likely due to dropping to first too soon on a slow down while heading to the shop for a diagnostic overview). So clutch plates are getting r&r'd. Going to find some new handlebars, and all controls that are attached. possible custom tach faceplate, maybe engine isolator bracket r&r, bleed brakes, r&r fuel filter (unless someone has a better idea as to why idle dies randomly)

REDDIT BROUGHT ME HERE!!!!….