Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technicians vs. Mechanics

Technicians vs. Mechanics

Greasy stuff. I love it.
    I'll pack wheel bearings barehanded, before lunch!. I'm the guy to bare armed rescue a 10-32 screw from the bottom of a full tank of race fuel, or use his shirt to cradle a smashed Dana 60 pouring 80-90w on the neighbors lawn. Sorry Mrs. Deilshnieder and thanks for the TV (I also like to have very clean fingernails (freak!) and I appreciate a well organized space, there inlies the conundrum of the Cooter) Haha

Lots of young people take stuff apart to see the inner workings. My parents marveled at me putting it all back together (but usually into something that would poke or scare my sister). I had RF remote controlled my bedroom light switch at 8 years old and had already set my bedroom (ahem "WORKSHOP OF DOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!") on fire, but only twice. Mom generously supplied (ill-gotten) fire extinguishers both under my bed and in the hallway, and simultaneously banned Estes rocket engines. Even the little ones. WTF Mom!

So here I am. Proud proponent of the Blue Collar working class. I dream of rusty new-found things showing up in the mail, I know that every patina'd part tells a story, and I love past mid night in the shop, filthy, tired, and when the fan on the MIG turns on to cool it's transformer, you can step back and know you'll probably cut this ghetto crap back apart in the morning. Mr. Mike Rowe and I wholeheartedly agree that using your muscles, your wit, and breathing some goddamn fresh air, will make you happy.

But I am obsolete.

The people that 'work on' things is dwindling. The people that fix things are rare, and the people who care enough to fix things well are rarer still. I've known a few. Most are dead now, and I'm not even that old.

I won't 'get-off-my-lawn' ya anymore, so instead of the obvious jab at the young-ins love for instant gratification or blaming the hipsters for their oh so delicious Ethiopian blend at 98.3* I'll just say that the feel of being a true technician, separates guys like John (Lunatic) from all the rest of the mechanics who like to be a 'car guy'.

Haha. Got to use this a few times. Out dated when I got it, but who throws away tools?

MD3nxseTTVeJb3nNzpeFvQ by Cooter!, on Flickr

vLpThV2BQBuoConp8O03eA by Cooter!, on Flickr

And these too!
    q92otyIRRL+Vgvo%6%RxAQ by Cooter!, on Flickr

Been organizing but I won't change the 'Old Tool' drawer

%IUTEAnmRK+7g%SrVmgzKw by Cooter!, on Flickr

And when its chrome and metal. It will last forever
    I7As6fP7TbWtIcvrFJl7GQ by Cooter!, on Flickr

Banned
    Made in China?

Where does it say that ?

Banned
    It does looks like that.

Inactive
    Made in China?

It does looks like that.

you're a complete and utter idiot! if you knew ANYTHING about vintage timing lights...dwell meters...ohm meters....plug-in hand drills and more....then you'd know these things NEVER wear out. ever! and all pre-Chinese garbage days.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Made in China?
    In image 2 it says ( Made in USA) , Where is Teafoam made ? Teabag?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast