Thread: New to Buell 2001 x1 Lightning

New to Buell 2001 x1 Lightning

Hello everyone! I am super new to motorcycles and just went for a drive the other day and my clutch gave out on me. To make a long story short I first thought it was the clutch cable but when I took the bike apart and drained the oil to change the cable I found that when I took the clutch mechanism out that pulls the cable I found this tore up inside and have no clue what it is or how it relates to my 2001 x1 lightning. I assume that it is supossed to be in there becuase my adjusting screw when put back together sticks out extremely far when adjusted correctly. (hand turn left till bottom out then make a quarter turn right) .. Any info would be great! I will add some photos of what was shredded to pieces and where it was in my bike

untitled1_LI.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doddo1 View Post
    Hello everyone! I am super new to motorcycles and just went for a drive the other day and my clutch gave out on me. To make a long story short I first thought it was the clutch cable but when I took the bike apart and drained the oil to change the cable I found that when I took the clutch mechanism out that pulls the cable I found this tore up inside and have no clue what it is or how it relates to my 2001 x1 lightning. I assume that it is supossed to be in there becuase my adjusting screw when put back together sticks out extremely far when adjusted correctly. (hand turn left till bottom out then make a quarter turn right) .. Any info would be great! I will add some photos of what was shredded to pieces and where it was in my bike

untitled1_LI.jpg
    I have zero experience with the X1 but what you are holding in your hand is a ball bearing cage that has come apart. That bearing, is probably something that the clutch ride on when pulled. It is toast

Inactive
    ummmm.....ya. it's called the clutch release plate assembly!
    part # 36731-91
    fits tube frame and XB buells
    list approx. $34
    available anywhere and everywhere.
    someone's been sitting at stop signs and red lights with clutch lever pulled in for extended periods of time. and don't lie or i'll know.

John , its was not Doddo1, It had be the PO.

Maybe it's really hard to find neutral?

If I was you I would take the primary cover off and get out any more pieces that maybe sitting in their. Just my 2 cents.

Most definitely do what rchuff said ^^^^^^^^