Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosing a leak or two

Diagnosing a leak or two

Hey everyone! Brand new to the forum, and i could really use some help. I'm brand new to motorcycles in general, and my 04 XB12R is my first bike. Always loved the looks of these bikes, and now that i own and ride one, i'm madly in love! Anyway, I'm trying to track down a leak, which may be several leaks. Started to get quite a few oil spots on my boots, and within 300 miles, the toes of my boots are pretty well covered in drips. It doesn't actively drip when the bike is stationary, only when moving. There is enough oil buildup that it covered the inside of the chin fairing. I followed squidbuellie's How To Remove Your XBR Motor thread (huge shout out man! thanks a million!) and split my bike in two to try and track this thing down. I may be new to bikes but certainly not new to wrenching so I'm tempted to just say screw it, buy the James Gaskets full gasket kit for $75 and rip the whole motor apart. But if i can replace just what's bad instead of going full-bore with this, obviously that would be a great route.

It looks to me as if the oil cooler lines are leaking, the tops of both cylinder heads are leaking, and possibly around the starter which i have read is fairly common. I'm attaching pictures, and if necessary, can snag as many more as needed. First picture is the front cyl, second is the rear, third is starter, fourth is oil cooler lines, fifth is to show the plastic cover (pushrod cover right?) that is completely covered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nebulus; 07-18-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Front cyl again, to show "witness mark" of oil dripping down onto the cooling fins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nebulus; 07-18-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Banned
    Wash the motorcycle engine thoroughly to remove any oil and to make it looks dry everywhere. Then ride it and inspect it and you will know where it leaks.

Of course, that is the best way to do it, but with everything being coated, i think it'd be quicker to rebuild the damn thing!

i will definitely do that, but in the meantime, i was hoping someone might be able to spot something i don't or give me insight to common leaks.

TPEHAK is right (so rare! ). haha Wash it. Very well.

And don't change the oil. Old, black oil is easier to spot.

The "leaks" don't really look that bad anyway, just never had a good wash job. Does it even leak on the ground?

That's good to hear, thanks! No, no drips on the ground at all, ever. Only some drips on my boots (both right and left) after riding. I'm definitely losing some oil, somewhere, but it's really not much.

Inactive
    your motor has seen alot of heat and has been leaking from the usual suspect spots for a long time. they are:
    rocker box cover gaskets....possibly starter motor gasket...possibly engine case vent tube. the oil over time has baked itself onto most of the engine surfaces. nothing unusual here at all. doubt the cooler or its connections leaking as your pic seems to indicate oil coming from above and dripping onto engine mount area then onto cooler. eh?????
    replace where required.....starter gasket AND seal comes with most quality kits such as james and cometic....items # 16 and #19 in schematic. while in there check BOTH the fitting and hose for the case vent system. located near starter motor and ties off at top shock mount. yours looks questionable.

799223.jpg

Lunatic is a rockstar....just do what he says, and you'll sort the issue. I speak from multiple personal experiences in this case :-)

As dirty as your engine is, you may have a few leaks, As the guys above are saying Clean and ride and inspect, Typically Rocker box gaskets go in the rear, where the most heat go first .

Banned
    The stator wires grommet and pushrod covers seals may leak too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast