Thread: Contaminated brake pads - are they done??

Contaminated brake pads - are they done??

So my fork seals went out (fork currently on operating table) and leaked enough oil to somewhat contaminate the pads / rotor. I know I can clean the sh** out of the rotor with brake cleaner and steel wool/3M pad as well as the pads - maybe do some sanding as well.

I'm worried that the contamination got 'baked in' by repeated braking. Is this a thing? Should I even bother with cleaning and bed in process again? The pads only have a couple thousand miles on them. They're EBC HH sintered.

Please and thanks

EBC HH pads are very durable and forgiving. Have run into this identical situation before and what I did was:

Remove pads from caliper and spray copious amounts of Brake-Cleen on both sides of each pad
    Immediately blow dry each pad with compressed air
    Repeat process a 2nd time
    Lightly sand material side of each pad to remove small amount of pad material and scuff up
    Respray one more time with Brake-Cleen and dry again
    Install and try them. You'll immediately know if successful or not

That's pretty much exactly what I've done in the past. Never was sure if it helped or not (the older brake pads at least).

When you say I'll immediately know - what about accounting for the bed in process as they're basically 'new' at that point?

Do what Barrett says. Yes, re-bed them anytime you scrub the pad material off the rotor, it needs to be put back in evenly or you could get pulsing, and that is common mis-diagnosed as a warped rotor ($$).

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    blah blah blah
    You are a contaminated brake pad.

Well, they seems fine now. We got fresh fork seals/wipers/oil (finally), rehabbed brake pads & rotor, new turn signals, and a new horn. Took it out for about half hour today and it's running great. I laid it on an abandoned mattress to 'bed' the pads in. Duh. Brakes seem fine with no obvious ill effects of some contamination. Yay.