Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fixing Earthing Problems - Why and How

XB12Ss grounds

JV:
    To answer you question on a check list: Yes- you have the idea I was after. Some codified series of steps of what to check and what to look for (ohm maximum for example). A "did you check this" list for those ignorant of what to look for (like I was when I started).

For your question on where the XB12Ss ground are:
    On my bike i have the battery restrained by the stock strap and a hose clamp (this really helps with shaking the terminals loose). I also have an old sponge jammed under the factory strap to push the seat up and off the connectors.IMG_20180812_154200.jpg

On the left side is the battery to battery tray ground as well as two grounds from the main wiring harness. IMG_20180812_155221.jpg

On the right side is the (I believe) computer leads that also go to the shift linkage. IMG_20180812_155453.jpg

Underside of the fuse box shows the leads better. IMG_20180812_155945.jpg

I presume that all buells use metal battery trays for connecting the grounds.....IMG_20180812_155048.jpg

Finally, I ohm tested my ecm ground and the ground path to the battery terminal. Max resistance was 0.2 ohm (and I only got that high once).

If you need more information, let me know.

Yeah the different model sure are different.
    A Uly has the battery turned 90deg and the rubber strap goes in the same direction as your hose clamp. The connections are on top and vibration doesn't loosen them.
    Also the computer ground lug on a Uly has 2 wires crimped into the same lug, one fat wire and the other thinner, whereas all yours appear to be single wire per lug
    The battery tray is actually just getting in the way of the grounding as they're all trying to make electrical contact into the aluminum and people need to be cleaning the joint in between the battery tray and the Al sub-frame
    At 0.2 Ohm your lug connection is OK
    BTW all your connections look to be dry, If you don't coat them with some protectant, then they'll degrade again.
    Thx for the pics, its clear now.
    Will put some measurements and pics in the checklist. - jv

Today I ran a 16 AWG jumper from one of the coil's mounting bolts to the Tie Bar. I had already installed a 4 AWG cable from the Tie Bar to battery's negative terminal. Years ago I had run a 16 AWG jumper between both subframe wire junction points. Today I pulled the bolts, ran a tap down the holes, squirted in CRC 2-26, coated the bolts with neverseize and reassembled. Also coated the ecm pins and connectors with 2-26.

This is a PITA task but your credibility is high based on last weeks performance. Didn't go for a run today but the bike started instantly. Faster than usual.

Earth Ground.jpg If all else fails we can go with a good old Earth Ground!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123