Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fixing Earthing Problems - Why and How

Thanks Cooter, what other thing do I need to check??

Samuelsegg
    Don't see in your list of things you've done that you've connected the earths bolted to the alloy subframe back to the battery (or a solid lead that goes to the battery).
    Don't know how yours is wired but some models bolt critical earths (like the ECM earths) to the Left hand side of the subframe and the battery to the RHS. The subframe is 2 halves bolted together at the back of the seat and to the main frame. This leaves bolted alloy connections to carry the earth return from the ECM back to the battery.
    Its these alloy connections that are the cause of all the earth faults that plague XB's.
    The guts of my original post was to replace all the wiring loom to aluminium alloy connections with properly sized copper/nickel/solder/brass ones, which don't corrode nearly as badly as alloy, and then protect them from further water ingress.
    The the Oxygen sensor is earthed through the exhaust header to the cylinder head and so becomes part of the current the braided strap carries. I've wondered whether the earth on the O2 sensor is good enough, neither stainless steel nor the header clamp are particularly good conductors. People replace them because they're supposedly faulty, but it may just be unscrewing the old and screwing in a replacement makes a better earth. You could easily run a wire from the body of the sensor back to an earth and see if it makes a difference? - jv
    Last edited by John Vreede; 06-25-2019 at 12:04 PM.

I have read quite a lot of the history here but I'm not sure I'm capable of reading all. (something about writing a novel). but if a person is interested in improving or maintaining the condition of his machine, he might well be interested in reading a page or two.

One thing I didn't see but I'm not sure it isn't in there somewhere is the notion of "ground loops" (Earth loops). With all of the imperfect connections in an XB, there is definitely at least one ground loop. Not being smart enough, I could imagine, maybe, that the ECM could get some inaccurate information from this great combination of signals.

Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob View Post
    I have read quite a lot of the history here but I'm not sure I'm capable of reading all. (something about writing a novel). but if a person is interested in improving or maintaining the condition of his machine, he might well be interested in reading a page or two.

One thing I didn't see but I'm not sure it isn't in there somewhere is the notion of "ground loops" (Earth loops). With all of the imperfect connections in an XB, there is definitely at least one ground loop. Not being smart enough, I could imagine, maybe, that the ECM could get some inaccurate information from this great combination of signals.

Maybe.
    That was my thought as well, but I dont think it actually happens in an XB.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456