Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: XB misfire at constant RPM cruising (~3500 RPM).

Hello everybody!

New season is about to start here in Finland. Only -5°C / 23°F in the morning.

Now I have a new set of O-rings at intake manifold and this time I got the rubber intake nozzle right too. Installed a new program (K&N+Jardine) to ECU and calibrated the TPS. Still the bike isn't perfect but it runs better than it did last summer. No backfire, and idle is steady. Now I have a tank full of E98 gasoline with RedLine injector cleaner in it. Lets see if it helps.

fingers crossed

You can easily turn off the CEL if the aftermarket muffler is causing it. That way you will know if theres other issues making it turn on. Check what code you have BEFORE you clear it. I think 21 is for the IEV, IIRC.

ECMDroid is the easiest. Go to ECM parameters/scroll to the bottom and uncheck IEV. ECMspy will do it too if you are better versed wit that program.

I took a short 25miles test-drive and she was promising. I have K&N filter with original muffler. Previous owner did have a Jardine muffler on it. I would like to have it back.
    Last edited by wwwili; 04-17-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwili View Post
    Hi

I have this misfire at 2500 rpm cruising. Give it a bit of gas, it runs smoothly. Bike (XB12S '06) has been standing about two years and now been started up again by me. I filled gas tank with a fresh fuel and added some RedLine SI-1. Bike feels a bit smoother but stutter at high rpm but doesn't misfire. Tomorrow i have to check every connection and maybe polish some connection points to ground.

(and sorry about my english)

wwwili
    I have the same problem with my 07Ulysses. It sat for two years before I bought it. 2400 to 3000 rpm it stutters, but no all the time. Sometime is goes a week without a problem, then it is nothing but stutters. I find the problem when cruising around town. At highway speeds there is no issues. How'd yours turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Well after a new fuel pump, new injectors, a $240 trip to a mechanic who "fully seated 1 fuel injector" and then the extra ground I unfortunately have to say it still runs like **** at about 3500 rpms. What's next, i don't know but I am open to suggestions. I can reset the the TPMS and it might run better for another 2 or 3 rides but then it will be back. It's sad because I really like riding this bike when it runs right which is not as often as it should be.
    I feel exactly the same way. I have owned 15 bikes and this Ulysses suits me better than any I have owned. I have never rode a bike that fit me better in handling and comfort. Some days it has no stumble, some days it stumbles so bad I park it. I had a 2010 Lightning and it had way more power than my 07 ulysses and it had no stumble issues. Man, I wish I hadn't sold that bike.

Mine stopped coughing when I would first take off after letting it warm up a bit, I installed the NGK 9's on it, it also performed better over all, it's completely stock.

The tach on my 2004 XB12S is behaving erratically. I have checked electrical connections including fuses and relays, done the earth ground cleaning, cleaned all electrical connections, and added the extra ground from the ECM to the battery. The tachometer output when logging is fine (i.e., does not show the what the tach is showing) so it seems to be electrical. I saw this thread and thought I would take a look at the ground at the forks, which is not shown in my owners manual, to see if that could be the problem. The bolt behind the headlights and the bolts behind the forks are there but there are not ground wires running to either of them. I have owned her since 2011. Do the 2004's not have this grounding point? Could previous owner have removed them? Should I add ground here and if so where do the ground wires originate from?

I have read, asked, and tried everything I can think of and find to fix the tach issue and was hoping that this was it. When it started, I had not done anything new to the bike that would point to an issue.

If your dash ground was compromised the speedo/ lights wouldn't work either.

So either you have a bad signal wire from the ECM to the dash, or you have an issue in the cluster. Check the tach signal at the harness plug of the dash to determine which one.

Hey Cooter, how do I check the tach signal at the plug or what am I looking for. I know that there is a table in the electrical guide that shows the voltages that should correlate to speed but I have yet to find anything similar for the tach.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast