Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: XB misfire at constant RPM cruising (~3500 RPM).

An erratic tach is also a sign of a failing CPS. May not be your issue at all, just throwing it out there but then again your bike would most likely display these signs of hesitation and misfiring or maybe not...probably just a bad connection like Cooter said.

Still curious if the 04 XB12S has the ground at the fork since mine does not and has not seemed to be a problem, unless related to tack. 49k miles, well maintained and taken care of.

lunatic, GRD 1 and 3 are on the right side of the tail and GRD 2 is on the left side of the tail (as shown on page 189). I am not the best electrical diagram reader, where am I missing the front grounds in the diagram on page 25?

Mine (2006 XB12SS) didn't have a ground at the fork either. I think mine had an extra one in the tail section. It does exist... I just dont think it exists on all of the models

Double check the book, but I think the cluster ground was pin 13 (black wire). You may want to run a continuity test between the wire at the plug and the negative terminal of the battery. Use a DVOM. If you are having a ground issue in the harness, this will call that out. However, you may have some issues going on inside the cluster. May be worth a look inside for any tell-tale signs of trouble.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-03-2019 at 10:22 PM.

34nineteen, thanks. Good to know that the fork ground might not exist on my 04. Good tip on cluster ground. Will check and post what I find. I even opened up the but all seemed good. Sprayed some electrical cleaner while in there just in case. With the extra ECM ground to the battery the tach is less erratic and sometimes is stable but still not right. Not a fan of electrical gremlins.

Make sure you are using the exact manual for your bike, year and model. Not all XB wiring is the same.

If the rest of your cluster works OK while having the erratic tach needle, your grounds to the dash are fine. NO need to play with anything or add anything or clean anything. K.I.S.S. If you go messing with stuff now and cause a problem, you won't know how to back-track and fix it.

FIX it first, then modify it.

Your problem is in either the tach signal to the dash (fix the signal), or inside the dash (replace the dash). Checking the signal at the dash plug will tell you which one it is.

Thanks Cooter. And get out of my skirt!

He won't, he likes it there !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345