Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XB misfire at constant RPM cruising (~3500 RPM).

Been having the same issue with my bike, the previous owner already did fuel pump and injectors, and it rode fine during the test ride. 2 weeks later it starts running like you said so I reset the TPS and cleared all codes. 2 weeks later it's doing it again and this time I took it to a local shop, spent $240 for them to find "1 fuel injector wasn't fully seated". Next step was to do a **** ton of reading here but haven't had the time, glad I saw your post and I will add a ground as you did. I would also like to see a pic of what you did.

To all, thanks for the feed back. Sorry for going dark on this but I was on a business trip.

100mph.... afraid I could not afford the speeding fines rtofimovich. But good luck.

Bike is a 2006 XB12ss with 35,000 miles. But I suspect that this happens to a lot of XBs.

The fix is all taped up so I cannot show the splice. But here is what I can do..... Attachment 10241

Here you can see the black wire exiting the harness and bolted to the negative battery post. Now that is a ground. And yes, that is an old sponge wedged under the rubber battery strap to keep the seat from bumping the computer terminals. Makes closing the seat a bit harder (have to put some weight on it) but it works and did not cost me anything.IMG_20180804_125758.jpg

From the shop manual (image attached above), you can see that this is the common ground for the ignition and the computer (system ground B). As it goes to a ground, I figured the negative battery post would be as good as it gets. I except that I need to be super cautious with this when I change a battery. Wrong post here means fried computer even if the bike is off! So...... Do this if you are 100% sure you can keep this straight.

Interestingly, I tried the open loop idea by disconnecting the O2. Talked to IDS and was told that disconnecting the O2 forces open look but you get the engine light saying no O2. Running that way did not fix the issue but it may have been slightly better or slightly less crappy. I think lunaticfringe has the issue nailed down. Cannot seem to keep a good ground so everything malfunctions.

As a side note, I did run a very large hose clamp under the battery tray length wise on the bike. Cut up an old rubber mat, put the rubber between the top of the battery and the clamp and tightened. Now the battery is constrained laterally (the OEM rubber strap) and longitudinally (the hose clamp). Did nothing for the ignition issue I had, but does keep the battery post bolts from shaking out so easily.

I'll keep checking this for a while. Leave feed back or send a PM if you have a similar issue and want more details on this saga....

now its time to go for a ride.

I think the diode that's in the fuse box should protect the ECM from reverse current, no matter how your earth wires are arranged - jv
    Last edited by John Vreede; 08-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Here is what I did and as soon as the weather good I hopefully will have a better running bike.

Factory wire wrap removed from harness

20180809_124409.jpg

Stripped wire

20180809_141354.jpg

New ground wire attached, yes my solder skills are lacking

20180809_142038.jpg

Harness re-wrapped

20180809_143349.jpg

Everything back together

20180809_144924.jpg

Nice picture explanation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post

New ground wire attached, yes my solder skills are lacking

20180809_142038.jpg
    Use flux, helps the solder flow more evenly

Hi

I have this misfire at 2500 rpm cruising. Give it a bit of gas, it runs smoothly. Bike (XB12S '06) has been standing about two years and now been started up again by me. I filled gas tank with a fresh fuel and added some RedLine SI-1. Bike feels a bit smoother but stutter at high rpm but doesn't misfire. Tomorrow i have to check every connection and maybe polish some connection points to ground.

(and sorry about my english)

wwwili

What's wrong with your English ?, It's way better than teabag's English and he's from the USA, I think ?

Banned
    English is not yours, English is for everyone!
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-11-2018 at 05:06 AM.

I are want speak English good so can be controller of air traffic or be good engineer

Opto

Excuse me for being the old grouchy guy in the room but I HATE the fact that half the threads in this forum turn into this nonsense.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast