Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 xb12r firebolt front brake chatter

2008 xb12r firebolt front brake chatter

ok here we go my firebolt has pretty bad brake chatter up front. it had 5300 one owner miles never beat or crashed/ i had to up the preload back to 4 marks showing the previous owner was lighter then me.it sat for 2 years inside a house never ridden .so i figured maybe a bad spot on rotor so its been replaced i tried diff. brake pads very little change would steering head bearings do this? maybe somebody had this problem and can give me some direction. thank you

youcantestifyouhaveaproblemwithyoursteeringneckbea ringsbyrockingthebikeuponthekickstandandseeingifth eresplayorclickingupfrontyourwelcome

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman3577 View Post
    ok here we go my firebolt has pretty bad brake chatter up front. it had 5300 one owner miles never beat or crashed/ i had to up the preload back to 4 marks showing the previous owner was lighter then me.it sat for 2 years inside a house never ridden .so i figured maybe a bad spot on rotor so its been replaced i tried diff. brake pads very little change would steering head bearings do this? maybe somebody had this problem and can give me some direction. thank you
    Overheated front brake. I already work on solution https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...l=1#post604396 Stay tuned!

When you say "chatter", what are you experiencing (a bit more in detail)?

Inactive
    would steering head bearings do this?

No.
    your 4 common XB front brake complaints/problems are as follows:
    CLUNK. result of severely worn brake pad caliper locating pins and/or faulty/loose steering head bearings.
    SQUEAL. multiple causes but typically vibrating brake pads.
    LEVER PULSE. warped rotor and/or severely glazed rotor and/or abundance of pad material build-up on rotor
    CHATTER. warped rotor in conjunction with severely worn rotor mounting hardware specifically H0506.3AM

cooter must be boozing again(LOL) and of course TEABAG full of **** as usual and trolling with yet more "look at me" chest-puffing link-bait.
    if it were me i'd remove front wheel....remove rotor....deglaze it....carefully check all hardware specifically part # listed above...clean out spring holes...install known GOOD hardware correctly....blue loctite each rotor mount bolt....torque to spec which is 25-27 ft lbs.......ditch the POS chinese ebay pads if that is what they are....EBC HH is what you want....install drive inserts correctly....bed-in pads correctly and see what you have. THAT should solve it.
    NOTE: often over-looked but sometimes the culprit is heavily worn front wheel bearings resulting in excessive lateral "run-out" under hard braking resulting in rotor "wiggle" and pulsing/chatter. if it were me and i had the wheel off i'd replace them at the same time. they're cheap and you rule them out as the cause.

hardware rotor.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-29-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Screenshot_2018-07-29-07-07-43.jpg Do everything as listed above as John said. It should look like that when finished and you will have ZERO problems.....LMFAO

I think all you guys missed that he has tried a new rotor and pads.....

sandman: "so i figured maybe a bad spot on rotor so its been replaced i tried diff. brake pads"

But yes, his info is uh... lacking. So we're all just guessing until he gets a chance clarify. Wicked, thats FUNNY!!

John covered all the bases, I am thinking carefully recheck all hardware.

problem not solved yet installed new buell rotor and hardware brake pads no china anything new stem bearings oem installed with correct stembearing tool/ fork oil changed 10w motul expert the only other thing i was told was the fork slide bushings a friend of mine was one of the occ mechanics is helping me with this problem. front wheel bearings are new also.to eliminate the front wheel altogether i have my 03 lighting i will swap the front tire and see what happens.any thing else that comes to mind? thank you

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman3577 View Post
    problem not solved yet installed new buell rotor and hardware brake pads no china anything new stem bearings oem installed with correct stembearing tool/ fork oil changed 10w motul expert the only other thing i was told was the fork slide bushings a friend of mine was one of the occ mechanics is helping me with this problem. front wheel bearings are new also.to eliminate the front wheel altogether i have my 03 lighting i will swap the front tire and see what happens.any thing else that comes to mind? thank you
    you need to COMPLETELY and ACCURATELY describe what the exact problem is which you apparently have no interest in doing. and you've missed the likely culprit but that's fine....keep throwing parts at it. eventually it will be resolved. you're more than welcome for the assistance given.

Last edited by user_deleted; 08-16-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast