Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 XB12 won’t stay running after cleaning grounds

2004 XB12 won’t stay running after cleaning grounds

Hello all, I have a problem and didn’t know where to turn. Since I got the bike years ago I’ve had a problem with the starter clicking, so I decided I was gonna fix it. I took the air box off and cleaned the ground strap, and mount locations as well as the post that the negative cable sits on. None of that helped. Come to find out it was a relay. So I swapped relays and it was running beautifully. Came back outside later that night tried to start it and all of a sudden it would start, or it would start and die. I could pin the throttle and get it to run for a bit but it would spit and sputter and huff through the intake. So, I thought well maybe another relay took a **** so I ordered 3 new ones. Didn’t help, which is why I am here. I went to pull the plugs and pulled one of the wires right out of the boot so now I am screwed as far as troubleshooting. I did check codes, and the only two stored codes are from when I had the exhaust valve unplugged and the intake air temp sensor unplugged. 21 and 15. Any help is appreciated, Aaron

Inactive
    fouled plugs.
    NGK DCPR8EIX iridiums or go to a 9 if you want 1 heat range cooler.
    plug wires must be flawless so replace if not and double check that the large rubber air horn is securely and properly clamped to TB with giant spring clamp...and that it is correctly seated onto airbox base plate. if not it will run like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    fouled plugs.
    NGK DCPR8EIX iridiums or go to a 9 if you want 1 heat range cooler.
    plug wires must be flawless so replace if not and double check that the large rubber air horn is securely and properly clamped to TB with giant spring clamp...and that it is correctly seated onto airbox base plate. if not it will run like crap.
    Thanks for the info, makes sense now that you mention it. The plugs definitely look carbon fouled. I am gonna order some plug wires and plugs

If you want some really good spark plug wires go with magnecor part number 2557. They are $44 for a set and you'll never have to change them again.
    The ngk iridiums are what Id recommend too.

www.magnecor.com

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    If you want some really good spark plug wires go with magnecor part number 2557. They are $44 for a set and you'll never have to change them again.
    The ngk iridiums are what Id recommend too.

www.magnecor.com
    Ok... changed the wires and plugs... didn’t work. Still won’t run. I pulled the coil and grounded both plugs to the frame, Spark is strong. It’s getting all the air it needs. The only thing left was fuel. So, I dumped some fuel down the throttle body and it seems to run right for a split second until the fuel is gone. So I guess my question is where do I go next? Fuel pump? Throttle position sensor? Or something else. There is no code stored for anything other than what i indicated in the initial post. I am at a loss here friends I just find it hard to believe that it was running perfectly until I messed with the relays and now it’s not

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
    Ok... changed the wires and plugs... didn’t work. Still won’t run. I pulled the coil and grounded both plugs to the frame, Spark is strong. It’s getting all the air it needs. The only thing left was fuel. So, I dumped some fuel down the throttle body and it seems to run right for a split second until the fuel is gone. So I guess my question is where do I go next? Fuel pump? Throttle position sensor? Or something else. There is no code stored for anything other than what i indicated in the initial post. I am at a loss here friends I just find it hard to believe that it was running perfectly until I messed with the relays and now it’s not
    Just a small update, I unplugged the fuel line and let the pump prime. It is for sure pumping fuel, but I have no way to test the pressure. Logic would dictate that it must be the pump failing, wouldn’t you all agree?

Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    I just find it hard to believe that it was running perfectly until I messed with the relays and now it’s not

why is that "hard to believe"?????
    What’s confusing? I swapped the relays and it ran beautifully. Came back out 4 hours later and it didn’t run. The likelihood that two unrelated problems manifested within the same time frame is hard to believe

Its believable

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Its believable
    So, you Guys think it’s the fuel pump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast