Thread: 09 Ulysses Won’t Start

09 Ulysses Won’t Start

I made a mistake and let my Buell (09 Ulysses) sit too long without riding it and now it won’t start. I replace the plugs (made sure I had spark from both plugs) and drained all the old fuel out. I added new fuel, but it still won’t start. I pulled all the intake covers off so I could get to the intake to spray starting fluid. When I spray in the starting fluid, it will run for a moment and then die. It will only run as long as I spray in the starting fluid. I disconnected the fuel line from the throttle body inlet to check for fuel pressure. Switching the ignition off and on causes a flow of fuel from the line, so there is fuel getting to the throttle body inlet. I need some ideas where to go from here. Thank you!

How long did it set ?? Please dont use any more starting fluid ( bad Sh*T ), Might have to take out the fuel pump and take a look see. By what you are saying its not getting fuel.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 08-01-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Inactive
    doug: extremely rare for injectors to fail. according to your trouble-shooting no fuel for combustion. instead of me listing all the possible culprits and you throwing a ton of expensive parts @ this thing confirm the following and report back:
    1-known fully charged quality battery? if suspect BEFORE you do anything else either fully charge @ 6 amps for 20 minutes and then try to start or jump it and try to start.
    2-have you checked for stored fault codes both active and historical? if not here's how for your 2009.
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/cgib...18#POST2360318
    3-does the CEL properly cycle thru with key AND kill switch both to ON?????
    4-IN NEUTRAL try to start with clutch lever pulled in and side stand both up and down. rules out safety switches.
    5-remove ignition/key switch/fuel pump fuses and check the female spades for corrosion. clean and replace.
    6-vermin wreaking havoc anywhere on top of motor and under seat? check wiring in both areas carefully.
    7-carefully and closely and i mean CLOSELY examine your under-seat wiring and all the grounds in that area particularly ecm black and grounds affixed to side rail.
    REPORT BACK.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-01-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Checked all things in your reply and nothing out of the ordinary. When I jump the wires and turned the switch on, I get six rapid check engine lights followed by 1, 1, 1, 1, and then the six again.

Set for almost two years, but in my defense I have a Ultra Classic and Fatboy that I do most of my riding on. Still no excuse. I think I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. That is if I can find one that will still work in Buell’s.

Well I called the dealer here in Dothan Alabama and was told they don’t work on Buell’s. Now starts the search for someone that does. The bike only has 13K miles on it and I’m pissed at myself for letting this happen.

Why "the dealer"? Any decent V-twin shop should be able to handle a simple problem like that. If they can't it's NOT Buells fault.

Might have to take out the fuel pump and take a look see

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I’ve gone into the service manual trying to find out if the injectors can be removed without taking half the bike apart, with no luck. If you have removed them, please advise what I’m in for. The manual states it’s labor-intensive to replace the plugs, but I have that down to less than 20 minutes with only removing the left side air scoop.