Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "FNG" XB12 owner w/?'s

"FNG" XB12 owner w/?'s

Hey all,
    First, thanx to everybody posting detailed and accurate info on these bikes. This forum is amazing. I've always wanted an XB and pulled the trigger on an '04 XB 12S with 9,100mi for $2k. The price was due to the bike not running right and I got the feeling the PO was just over it. One of my old buddies has the same identical bike, and had very similar issues with his in the past. He always took his to a dealer to fix, but I prefer to diy. I got to CO Springs to check it out and yes, it had some bad hesitation off the bottom, but it ran and I got it thru some gears & my gut said "go for it" I picked the POs brain about TPS resets, plugs, ecm changes.....anything he may have done. While I can't be certain, I don't think he was taking the right approach.
    Upon getting the bike to my garage, I fired it up and wanted to ease it around a few back roads to see if the bike would adjust to my environment and "learn" anything up here- generally cold, dry and 10,000 ft above sea level. Well, damn, the XB decided it liked me and after a mellow 20 minute ride it's scooting around pretty good. Pretty good but not 100% means I've got some more work to do, but I didn't buy a blown engine at least:-) I have loads of exp rebuilding motocross bikes, and a decent amount of tools, time, space & resources. I'm excited to figure this out.
    Sooo.... ecm cable is on the way. Laptop ready for whichever tuning program is recommended & Now have the big shop manual. My plan is to reset the TPS, dive into ECMspy and learn as much about tuning that way as I can. I'd love to do a pipe, intake, breather reroute, and ebr race ecm, but I really just want to get as close to "decent stock running" as I can for a (long) while. I have the shop manual and plan on getting things back to stock, or as close as makes sense for my altitude. Now that I've yapped on long enough, I'll get to the point.
    Issue: occasional hesitation/heavy stutter between 1.5k rpmish and 3k Rpm. Inconsistent under load & flat spot in that range. Revs through the RPM range much better when not under load. Bike pulls linear and healthy randomly, but slightly more often after reaching operating temps.
    ?'s:
    1-Aside from the TPS reset, what would anyone suggest I add first to my chore list for this bike besides NGK 9's and an oil change?. 2-PO said ECMspy is only available in Russian language?! I have a hard time believing that but where can I get the program? If I need to pay for it that's fine if it's worth it to have. Or, is there a better tune prog? 3-would anyone recommend timing changes for altitude? Or should I just return it to stock? The PO, I believe, has it advanced all the way?! another thing that seems odd to me.
    Sorry for the total noob post, and I understand most anything I need to know is in here somewhere, but I'm getting a little cross eyed. And even just a general nudge in the right direction could save me many hours
    & definitely is greatly appreciated.
    Thnx in advance!!

I would certainly check the condition of the plugs. That will be a start in diagnosing the air to fuel ratio. Clean all ground wires, check condition of plug wires. You can test the ignition coil with a meter. Open the air box and check the air filter. Replace paper filter with a high flow air filter or if you already have one, clean it. If you see the inner air box has a Swiss cheese mod or air box elimation mod, you may have a lean running bike (the color of your plugs, when you check them, will also give insight into a lean condition.) If you do have an altered inner air box and/or open exhaust, I suggest downloading a race map that has a richer fuel value. Do an intake leak test. Since you have the air box off, do a breather reroute (many threads/videos for this DIY.) This will keep the crankcase vapors from contaminating your air filter. You can ride it in "closed loop" parameters to "relearn," but I believe that year ecm isn't as adaptive as the later models. Ecmspy is available in English I ordered my cable and software from Ebay. Maps can be found on buellmods.com If I left something out it's because it's 12:30am and I just left my shop from installing a Barnett steel braided clutch cable on my 'bolt (adjusted the primary chain, primary clutch and cable, primary oil.) I'm considering a 200 mile ride by myself tomorrow to go catch up to a buddy who left today. So, I needed to get her ready. I think I got her dialed in. Clutch feels very responsive. PS-I hope you have some time set aside this weekend to get it running right so you can get on the road and carve the pavement GL
    Last edited by Simplymichaeljr; 10-08-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Inactive
    I got to CO Springs to check it out and yes, it had some bad hesitation off the bottom, but it ran and I got it thru some gears & my gut said "go for it" I picked the POs brain about TPS resets, plugs, ecm changes.....anything he may have done. While I can't be certain, I don't think he was taking the right approach.
    Upon getting the bike to my garage, I fired it up and wanted to ease it around a few back roads to see if the bike would adjust to my environment and "learn" anything up here- generally cold, dry and 10,000 ft above sea level. Well, damn, the XB decided it liked me and after a mellow 20 minute ride it's scooting around pretty good.

bike purchased from an area in the 5500-6000ft. elevation area.....correct? now being ridden in the 10,000ft. plus elevation area.....correct? and now performs noticeably better at this altitude than the former altitude....but still glitchy with "leanness" characteristics and poor throttle response @ lower rpm's.....correct? classic faulty O2 sensor with no stored fault code. replace it. will walk you thru if required. inexpensive component and fairly easily replaced with common hand tools.

+1 on an old lazy O2 sensor.
    "tuning" a fuel injection system for altitude is unnecessary.
    "Tuning" you fuel injection system won't fix a problem. Possibly mask one, but not fix it.
    If you are planning on an upgrade to the intake and exhaust system there are plenty of existing fuel injection programs available for free from Buellmods.com and Buelltooth.com, so still no "tuning" needed.
    FYI I much prefer ECMDroid (free) and a Bluetooth dongle connection ($50-ish) to download injection programs for anyone who doesn't need custom injection tuning, which is easily 98% of us.

Edit: I just re-read the PO has the timing advanced all the way? Step +1, put it back to stock. Even though it will probably run worse, put it back to stock. Fix this bike before you ride it a bunch.
    Last edited by Cooter; 10-08-2016 at 03:18 PM.

I live just outside CO Springs and was right behind you on this bike of you didn't buy it. If you live in the area hmu and we can meet up and I can help you troubleshoot it. I thonk it has a bad cam sensor personally.

Sweet,
    Thanx for the tips. @Simply, yep, going thru the grounds and plugs/wires is a good idea and should be on my list for routine reasons. I suspect getting an eye on the plug color might possibly provide some answers. Air box mod is something else that needs looking into. Big thnx for replying on the graveyard shift!
    Lunatic, that's a great idea! Thnx, I wouldn't even thought about the O2 sensor. I'm so hung up on everything I'm reading about TPS's and ECM I kinda had blinders on.
    @Cooter, I suspect your right about Blind Tuning not being a good idea, & may only mask the prob. Good point. & I will set timing back to stock ASAP like you said. I'll look into ECMdroid. You're right, Yeah, the bike is stored in a heated garage and isn't going to be ridden much till it's fixed.
    @Phelan I'm up in Leadville, waaaay up in the mountains. Thnx for the offer to help! I may have the only Buell in this county, lol.
    Thanx all for the advice and pointers. Def appreciate ya's! I'll post any developments and hopefully have some progress soon! You folks rock! Thnx!

Jon aka Lunaticfringe, is one of the most knowledgeable Buell guys I have had the pleasure to meet, I would take any advice he offers and run with it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    Jon aka Lunaticfringe, is one of the most knowledgeable Buell guys I have had the pleasure to meet, I would take any advice he offers and run with it.
    greatly appreciate the kind words neil. thanks very much for that my friend.

O2 sensor ordered, ecm cable shud arrive tomorrow & ECMspy (in English :-) running on laptop. Setting timing back to stock looks to be easy enough. Wonder if the weather will hold much longer up here? I reckon as soon as the bike is runnin right, it's gonna start dumping snow, haha JK!

Is this an acceptable method to set my timing back? I've seen other more thorough methods, but was wondering if this way looks ok to try?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHmh1JoT2U

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast