Thread: 3 Bearing Rear

3 Bearing Rear

The fella at the HD dealership says the axle tube I gave him for the bearing install isn't the right piece, should be steel. Say's it will crush when I tighten up the axle. I've never had a problem with any bike I've owned in the past and there has been many, although never a Buell. This doesn't make any sense to me. Who's all wet?

It's aluminum, he's an idiot. Rear axle torque is only 25ft/lbs, back off 2 turns, then torque to 50 ft/lbs ONLY.

Excellent & thanks.

Cooter, good chance to tell the world the part numbers at Indufast for those wheel bearings. While you are at please tell me where you got the steel rear sprocket on the SX.

Opto

The part number is the same (bearings use a standard number for the measurements) So IIRC 6003-2RS for the front of an XB , and 6005-2RS for the rear 2-bearing wheel. The -2RS just means it has seals on both sides.

Some companies use their own numbers but you can always find them with the ones above. Same goes for oil seals BTW.

I found the steel EBR rear sprocket from JD sprockets ($28)

Cooter,

Thanks for that info. Can I assume that the same code applies to the 3 bearing wheel I have on the Uly?

On the sprocket--did you figure out why that chain rider got devoured. I am still running the original chain, chain slider and sprocket and I am up to 15,000 miles. I use the lubeman oiler ($30) with my special mix lube -- 1/2 chainsaw bar oil and 1/2 30w--the rear sprocket still looks great, no hooking etc. I do suffer from greasy wheel syndrome but oh well.

Opto

Aluminum/steel doesn't matter. I think he was trying to say the spacer keeps the bearings in place, not the wheel. I wasn't going to try and explain any further even after examining the setup. This is a new wheel, new components.

Opto: I don't know about the 3 bearing wheels, I'd have to look it up.

The EBR chain block slider is a disposable wear part, cheap, and easy to change. I don't think it's a problem. Some people eat them up, others don't. A point of interest was the JD sprocket had a very slight off-set. I'd put it towards the wheel.

Lunatic: "not always"
    I didn't know some Buells had a steel spacer? Is that a 3-bearing wheel thing? I've seen it on many other bikes but not a Buell. Thanks for the knowledge I would have ran across one and been stumped!

At 50ft/lbs of axle torque, the aluminum is plenty strong enough to keep the inner races tight. If the spacer gets crushed by a meat-handed mechanic with a breaker bar (seen it), you will continually kill bearings in short order from the side loading. Lunatic posted the minimum spacer spec lengths at one time and now I can't find them It's surprisingly small tolerance!

Lunatic would you mind posting them again for me please? I'll write them down in my manual this time