Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stability issue / wobbly

Hey Herawan, good idea to ask the Buell brain trust here

I want you to come ride Stella and then the XB9SX back-to-back. Stella is completely stable and my XB9 does what I think you are describing. Both have new wheel and neck bearings. The only difference between the two is the XB9 has a front tire thats squared off.
    Feels unstable at speed like you say. Also in a corner it feels like it falls into the corner then you need to 'catch it' to keep it upright.

I'm leaning to new-front-tire. Leaning... get it???? PUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

You so, so ,so,, funny ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !

This may sound dumb and too easy. I have heard if the tire is mounted backwards that it will cause a wobble. So might want to check tire rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hey Herawan, good idea to ask the Buell brain trust here

I want you to come ride Stella and then the XB9SX back-to-back. Stella is completely stable and my XB9 does what I think you are describing. Both have new wheel and neck bearings. The only difference between the two is the XB9 has a front tire thats squared off.
    Feels unstable at speed like you say. Also in a corner it feels like it falls into the corner then you need to 'catch it' to keep it upright.

And such a brain he is!!!!!

Definitely agree with new tires.
    My bike was handling like a pig. Had to push it into a corner and then hold it so it didn't turn in too much like Cooter said.
    Tried servicing the suspension ($1200US) for no real improvement.
    Found a big part was rusty steering head bearings which meant was hard to initiate a turn.
    Soon as bearings were change it was obvious that had been masking too low tire pressure (was running ~35psi). Was much better after pumping to 38fr-40r but still not right.
    Tires were worn, back 3/4 front ~1/2, but not flattened profile, they were nice and round. I've been around bikes long enough that they didn't seem to me to be a problem. A knowledgeable mechanic friend, who does a lot of race setups, said "Put new Metzler Z8's front and back and pump tire to 38-40psi fr & 40-42psi r and I guarantee it'll be fixed". He was right. Its higher pressure than most people run but with new rubber at that pressure, the bike steers neutral now, but I can feel when the tire pressure drops even 3psi.
    I've never had a bike as sensitive to tire condition and pressure as the Buell, and I know its not just mine; a Firebolt and an SS I rode were the same. The Firebolt was brand new demo bike in 2003 that steered so weird I didn't buy it because of that; the dealer told me later the tires weren't pumped enough. The '08 SS was worse than mine was, even with 40f & 42r psi in the tires. His tires didn't look too bad either but at 8000mi were probably still the originals 10yrs later. I bet the bike would have been transformed with new tires.
    If either of the tires has flats just go buy new ones. If (like I did) you think they're OK, try pumping the tires harder and see if it gets better.
    If it does, go buy a matched set of new tires. Any good brand of sport compound will be ok I think, but the Metzler Z8's work well on my Uly - jv
    Last edited by John Vreede; 08-05-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

It took me awhile to get it OMG haha yeah we really need to schedule some back-to-back experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by toolmaker98 View Post
    This may sound dumb and too easy. I have heard if the tire is mounted backwards that it will cause a wobble. So might want to check tire rotation.
    I double checked this morning, it's all good! Now, I realized the back tire isn't factory size, (190/50ZR17 / Factory is 180/55ZR17). Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by John Vreede View Post
    Definitely agree with new tires.
    My bike was handling like a pig. Had to push it into a corner and then hold it so it didn't turn in too much like Cooter said.
    (...)
    If either of the tires has flats just go buy new ones. If (like I did) you think they're OK, try pumping the tires harder and see if it gets better.
    If it does, go buy a matched set of new tires. Any good brand of sport compound will be ok I think, but the Metzler Z8's work well on my Uly - jv
    I don't really have this issue in corner at all to be honest, or at least nothing I noticed. But starts to feel like there isn't much other options outside of new tires. I'll look at it - maybe there's a good deal out there in the next months.

It looks like the bike went down multiple times in its life (both sides, the frame is dented on the left, the header is scratch on the right, there are marks of fall on the footpegs, plastic and handlebars. I had this weird moment where I wondered if a fall could alter the handling of the bike - but truth is I have no idea if that's just stupid to even think about it. Just throwing that out there haha

A fall wouldn't really do it. They are tough bastards. But a wreck certainly could

I would assume Mitsu would have caught any funkiness when he did the steering neck bearings.

I would make sure the suspension is set up correctly (for you), and then start looking at tires pretty hard.

All, I strongly suggest the following: Most of the time any weirdness with the handling is tire related. Been there, done that. I can not believe how some of you are thinking--For God's sake there are only two wheels and your life is hanging in the balance. I mean riding is marginal at best so get your damned head on straight. If you can't afford a new set of skins then you should just park the bike until you can.

People often say how economical it is to ride a motor bike--Well, I call BS on that. First cost are high, insurance is high and tires are expensive. I figure, on average, .06>.10/MILE

cont'd
    to keep your bike on the road with decent rubber. It is just as stupid running on old tires as it is to run without a decent helmet and riding gear. Get it together and get out there!

Opto

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast