Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XB12SCG '08 /w performance exhaust & filter -> running RICH! Help!

Can you put it back to stock and then take some readings ?

You mean put the stock exhaust and filter on?
    No, I don't have either anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by jesserontu View Post
    Yes, I have heard about this problem.

Actually I forgot to mention that, when I ran the bike with the "matched" tune from Buelltooth, I ran it open loop AND fixed the AFV to 100%. Thereby the system is not able to do the "reduction of fuell cell values across the map".
    But like mentioned, it ran like crap...

So I think this further verifies that there is something wrong in the basic working of the bike, mechanical or in the DDFI system.

Do you guys have any idea what are the most common causes in Buells to have RICH mixture?
    Copy - actually, I think you did mention it and I missed it....sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hey Jesserontu: I would highly recommend fixing the bike before you continue to mess with the ECM.

The fact that...
    [QUOTE=jesserontu;604807]when I ran the bike with the "matched" tune from Buelltooth, I ran it open loop AND fixed the AFV to 100%. Thereby the system is not able to do the "reduction of fuell cell values across the map".
    But like mentioned, it ran like crap...[QUOTE]
    Means precisely this...

Quote Originally Posted by jesserontu View Post
    So I think this further verifies that there is something wrong in the basic working of the bike

Which is what he said (i.e. agreeing with you) something like five posts up (or six). Not sure why you need to repeat it again and again in successive posts.

I think he's reading you loud and clear, Cooter....which, by the way, is what I said as well when offering a thought (which was well-intentioned but off the mark)...i.e. fixing the bike, if it has an issue, is the top priority.

I think he's trying to get suggestions as to *how* to start that troubleshooting effort - thus the continued questions about what might cause the perceived (rich) condition.

I'm trying to help. I quoted myself, because:

1) He is still messing with the ECM (to no avail)

2) And I already told him how to diagnose it:

"Your next question will be "What could cause that", and the answer is a LOT of things. Hard to diagnose an unseen bike one thing at a time invariable jumping from one guess to another...

You can find the service manual for free at the same website you bought the Buelltooth, or at Buellmods.com. Follow the diagnosis flow chart for how it runs at 100 AFV."

He very well could have a ECM programming issue (like CL AFV targets are set too rich). But he is looking for the easy way out by "jumping from one guess to another..." and could mask a REAL issue with ECM tweaking simply by diagnosing in the wrong order.

Guessing (or hoping some random forum poster guesses right for you) will cost more money and definitely take more time.
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-07-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Yeah - but give him a bit of grace in that 1) he's coming here to ask his questions...and at least responding to you (and others), even if not using the exact words you'd rather him say, 2) he's said at least twice that he knows he has some kind of problem and agrees that is his priority, and 3) the way I read his very last question is an effort to at least pulse the crowd here for places to start looking in his troubleshooting effort. Perhaps someone has had this similar (or exact) issue before, perhaps someone can refine his efforts by suggesting he check x or y as they've previously found x or y to characteristically cause this kind of problem or symptoms.

For the record, there have been numerous instances with both the XB and the Blast over the past 5 years that someone has done just that for me....i.e. suggested checking 'x', given my symptoms and that person's long experience, which has saved me much time and energy and gotten me back on the road in minimal time. There have also been times when that is not the case (especially recently), and that has required me to do the correct 'long haul' method of troubleshooting and repair.

I agree with you - lacking any clear input on that front, he should do exactly what you say. I don't begrudge him the question, though - nor do I think he is disagreeing with you in principle (at least yet). But what do I know....not much.

Last edited by vicenzajay; 08-08-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12