Thread: Power stays on key off!!!!

Power stays on key off!!!!

My 05 12ss had developed a new problem! I can turn the key off and the bike stays powered up. Headlights, tail lights, fuel pump. The instrument cluster does go off though. I am thinking ignition switch contacts.

Inactive
    OR faulty key switch relay. three relays in fuse box. switch the key switch with the ignition and see what happens.

Sticking ignition relay? They are in the fuse box and you can swap them around to see.

If the taillight is on and the headlights are off you probably just stuck the key in the "P"ark position (one past "Lock")

and How do you know the fuel pump is still on?? It shouldn't be running constantly with the engine off for any reason (regardless of key position). It will make occasional noise for a few minutes after shut down (normal).

Because my fuel pump has bad internal wiring. Common nproblem I guess. It primes for a few seconds then continues nto run but it sounds like half voltage. Have new fuel pump to replace it.

You think "bike stays powered up. Headlights, tail lights,..." is due to a bad fuel pump? Swapping a couple of relays around is much easier (and logical) than replacing a fuel pump on a hunch. You might even learn a thing or two.

Swapped relays around. That fixed the power problem. Fuel pump still does what it has been doing. Running at half voltage after the initial prime. Once the bike starts the pump and bike run just fine. Wasn't going to replace the pump on a hunch. The pump was a separate issue, I was assuming anyway.