Thread: Xb9r chain drive conversion

Xb9r chain drive conversion

So I have most of the parts to do a chain drive conversion on my xb9r, however every guide I read uses a tensioner from EBR which no longer exists. There are a few that use a 20 tooth sproket punched for a bearing. But I was wondering if anyone knows of a part number that would work for the tensioner. There was a gates part number off a disel engine but that was confirmed to be wrong part number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm using a 520 chain.

Banned
    Look for Free Spirit chain conversion kit.

I have found the free-spirit spring tensioners but those were for belt drives I'd still need a wheel changed over for the chain drive eventually I want to get one of those spring loaded free spirit tensioners but I want to get the chain drive up and running before I spend $185 on it I picked up the gates part number wheel that I found but it needs spacers I'm going to try that and see if that works but if you have a link to the free Spirits chain conversion kit I would be more than happy to click on it since I haven't been able to find one

Banned
    Free Spirit produced chain tensioner for Buell XB. Probably they do not do this kit anymore, I do not see this kit on their webpage. But you might find old stock on ebay

Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-09-2018 at 02:28 PM.

3d print one them sum bitchs.

That would be the ticket if I had access to one. Did some looking and think I can modify the free-spirit belt tensioner to make it into a chain tensioner. Just gotta pick one up and give it a shot I guess. I did pick up one of those Gates wheels, but need to make spacer bushings for either side of it to keep it centered. Hopefully it works out. Unless I get a better option suggested here.

Banned
    In this case you can just modify the Buell belt tensioner.

I converted to chain and didn't really like it. Just saying

Those are prone to falling apart. I have one for an XB12. Make offer