Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running "dual headlight mod" dangerous?

Running "dual headlight mod" dangerous?

New-to-me Buell XB12Scg.

I'm finding that the low beam provides pretty poor light output and stumbled upon the dual headlight mod.

Because the headlight housing has reflectors for one low/high beam, do you find it too bright / unsafe for oncoming traffic to run this at night?

Been searching but can't find any definitive answers based on others' experience.

Thanks in advance!

Inactive
    have done this mod to probably 20 customer bikes and 12 or more of my own XB's. have never done it to an R model....only S and X platforms.....like yours. NEVER had any complaints....never had any on-coming cars flash beams to indicate they were annoyed or blinded....i like the mod alot.
    A FEW SUGGESTIONS: if you haven't i'd strongly suggest replacing the low-beam bulb with either a newer style "super bright" H7 bulb or even better a yellow output H7. the yellowish-glow is a nice attention getter during the day for idiot cage pilots. and when doing this mod you'll find the "harness pin-swap" challenging to say the least sometimes resulting in damaged pin connectors and harness plug. want to avoid that potential catastrophe??? simply splice the yellow wire(low beam +) into the orange wire(full harness +) and you'll have both lights on when switched to high beam with the handlebar switchgear selector switch. DO IT ON THE HEADLIGHT BUCKET SIDE....NOT THE HARNESS SIDE.

Ive had people flash their high beams at me with both lights on. I think its just the fact that its a high beam so you should really drop down to the single low beam for oncoming traffic anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    have done this mod to probably 20 customer bikes and 12 or more of my own XB's. have never done it to an R model....only S and X platforms.....like yours. NEVER had any complaints....never had any on-coming cars flash beams to indicate they were annoyed or blinded....i like the mod alot.
    A FEW SUGGESTIONS: if you haven't i'd strongly suggest replacing the low-beam bulb with either a newer style "super bright" H7 bulb or even better a yellow output H7. the yellowish-glow is a nice attention getter during the day for idiot cage pilots. and when doing this mod you'll find the "harness pin-swap" challenging to say the least sometimes resulting in damaged pin connectors and harness plug. want to avoid that potential catastrophe??? simply splice the yellow wire(low beam +) into the orange wire(full harness +) and you'll have both lights on when switched to high beam with the handlebar switchgear selector switch. DO IT ON THE HEADLIGHT BUCKET SIDE....NOT THE HARNESS SIDE.
    Nice, thanks for the tips. Which bulbs do you recommend? Do the increased output (in wattage) come w/ a risk of getting too hot?

Noted on the harness... great idea on doing to the headlight side!

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    Ive had people flash their high beams at me with both lights on. I think its just the fact that its a high beam so you should really drop down to the single low beam for oncoming traffic anyway.
    I see, makes sense. Do you find yourself toggling or just keeping both on at all times?

I put Bright LEds in , and yes I get blinked at even in the day time, but I am ok with that, I guess they see me . Ha Ha

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
    Nice, thanks for the tips. Which bulbs do you recommend? Do the increased output (in wattage) come w/ a risk of getting too hot?

Noted on the harness... great idea on doing to the headlight side!

I see, makes sense. Do you find yourself toggling or just keeping both on at all times?

i like sylvania silverstar H7 ultras....yellow on low side which is right when you're sitting on the bike....standard silverstar ultra in the other side. NO...never had a heat or charging system problem. they only draw about 1.5 amp each more than standard H7.
    NOTE: when replacing a bulb place a small piece of masking tape on the lense of the bulb you wish to replace PRIOR TO removing the entire bucket. that way you won't replace the wrong one on your work bench. don't ask me how i know. time and aggravation saver.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-10-2018 at 12:42 PM.

I've also don't the dual headlight mod on every XB I've owned. Never had much of a problem with a oncoming flasher person. You should make sure to align the headlight housing correctly if you remove it.

Hey Kona, maybe your headlight housing us pointed up too high?
    With the mod done, point it at the garage door when you're level. You can assume windshield height at about 30", so point the headlight focus just below that.

And honestly... Eff 'em. I'm ok with one or two flashers. I'm glad they see me.

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post

I have people flash their high beams and wave at me as well. Once they realize its me and not lunatic, Cootie or SR, they are disappointed.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I have people flash their high beams and wave at me as well. Once they realize its me and not lunatic, Cootie or SR, they are disappointed.
    LOL Aaron. "they" know it's me and FabioDriven when we go by them....whip in the clutch....pin our throttles....and singe their paint with our flame-throwing HellFire 1%er custom exhaust.

^^^ hell yes ^^^ 👍🇺🇸

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast