Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To get a Buell or not?

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll have to arrange for another test ride and do a little more research. Thanks Chicknstripn for the advice. And thanks lunaticfringe. I live in the Phoenix AZ area and heat is always an issue. And njloco, I don't just want to say I have a bigger bike. Not eve sure who I'd say that to My 75 CB400F is the newest & biggest bike I've ever owned. I kinda want to experience modern bike technology/handling/performance. I considered Ducatti, Triumph, Honda, MV Agu$ta, etc. For some reason I keep coming back to Buell. I've never been a Harley fan although I recently learned a little about the XR1200 & thought it is a little bit cool. Not as cool as a Buell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
    I considered Ducatti, Triumph, Honda, MV Agu$ta, etc. For some reason I keep coming back to Buell.
    I would consider only Honda from your list.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...018-5002428888
    2018 Mv Agusta Dragster 800 RC

Great looking bike for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll have to arrange for another test ride and do a little more research. Thanks Chicknstripn for the advice. And thanks lunaticfringe. I live in the Phoenix AZ area and heat is always an issue. And njloco, I don't just want to say I have a bigger bike. Not eve sure who I'd say that to My 75 CB400F is the newest & biggest bike I've ever owned. I kinda want to experience modern bike technology/handling/performance. I considered Ducatti, Triumph, Honda, MV Agu$ta, etc. For some reason I keep coming back to Buell. I've never been a Harley fan although I recently learned a little about the XR1200 & thought it is a little bit cool. Not as cool as a Buell.

There is (or was) a XR1200 for sale at HD of Scottsdale. I've owned a few Buells and the XR definitely rings my bell. Plus, our own elder statesman, owns one so thats instant cred for it being a cool bike.

In Phoenix, great deal Buells tend to come and go. Right now, it looks pretty lean, but there is a pretty good deal in Tucson for an XB that likely needs a fuel pump.

Have you considered a Suzuki SV650 or a Ducati Monster? I've owned a few SV650's and they were always fun, well mannered bikes.

Actually, this one is a pretty good deal. Its a drive, but I'd consider it to be worth it.

https://yuma.craigslist.org/mcy/d/20...667814789.html

Banned
    Or if you don't like ugly looking Buell models this Buell model looks good and goes with nice extras.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...onversion-5500
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-13-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Banned
    Maybe that Harley does not look too ugly, but it looks boring. If you like boring motorcycles buy a Honda, at least Honda is reliable.

I love my Buell XB-12S for city riding and am also in Phoenix. Yes, heat is an issue, but that is the game here in the desert. It is a great bike for the riding around town. I use synthetic oil to do what I can to help with the heat.

I did add the 'Soft Clutch' mod to lower the clutch pull on my bike as it is pretty heavy when in stop & go traffic. It does lower the feel of the pull, but the effort is significantly lowered.

Buells are pretty easy to work on, especially with the factory manual. Since you have older bike, you know about having to do minor repairs to keep your bike in good shape. There is nothing horrible on the Buell to keep after, but you get an occasional part that needs replacement. But no valve checks or intense maintenance overall. My bike is a 2004 and other than crash damage from the previous owner, I've replaced the rear brake switch ($15 or so), rebuilt the fuel pump ($80 or so) and replaced a head light bracket ($12 or so). I do think I broke the headlight lower bracket when I removed my headlight, so that isn't fair to the bike. Other than that, gas and oil.

Well it looks like I won't be getting a Buell anytime soon. The dealer (Harley) wants $5,000 plus tax etc which brings the total to $6000. They weren't willing to negotiate. It's an 07 XB9SX with 8000 miles and a Jardine. It seems to be in really nice condition but everything seems to tell me that it should go for $3500-$4000. Am I wrong? Is it a smokin deal that I should pounce on? Are KBB and NADA good for price estimates?

If you look on Craigslist, take your time to find the right bike, and are willing to drive a state in any direction to to get it you can get a smoking deal. The Harley dealership is charging way too much for the bike. Please ignore TPEHAK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12