Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To get a Buell or not?

To get a Buell or not?

Hi all - a new member here and I'm in a bit of a quandary. I'm not a Buell owner but I have always liked them. I have my eye on a 2007 Lightning CITYX XB9SX. I took it for a short test drive on the dealers school lot. Not a lot of room but I got it to 3rd gear & did figure 8's. Wow the torque is awesome right off idle. My current rides are a 1971 Honda SL350 and a 1975 Honda CB400F. Both are in like new condition. The 400 is the biggest bike I've ever owned or been on. It feels fine but I suspected I've been missing something. The test drive proved me correct. I'm on the edge of going for the Buell but it is such a big jump from my Hondas. It's kinda like going from a toy to the real thing. Although I haven't taken the XB9 out on the road, I can't imagine it not having enough power for my needs (i.e. I don't think a 1200 is necessary for me). Is the CITYX a good all around choice for getting around town? I don't have much interest in going long distances. Maybe to work - 16 miles. It seems to fit me ok, I'm 5'10". Any words of wisdom to a Buell newbie? Here is a pic of the XB9 and a pic of my Hondas...
    left_s.jpg2bikes.jpg

Welcome, One of my first bikes back in the day was a 69 Cl 350, New paid like $720. Both ur bikes look very nice, As far as the Buell Buy it you will love it and never ride the hondas again , LOL The SX is a CA bike, painted primary case, and a loud pipe.

I’ve owned my 2007 Buellxb12r for almost 12yrs. I ride it everywhere. The cityX has a much more relaxed riding position then the R so you should have no problems with commuting. I’m 5’10” and the only time I found my bike remotely uncomfortable was on a ride to upstate NY. 12hrs in the saddle was a little uncomfortable but I’d do it again if I had the chance.
    My advice would be to visit www.buellmods.com and download a service manual. Start learning as much as you can about the bike. Get the dealer to give you some sort of warranty or maintenance deal. I’ve seen people purchase a clean Buell only to discover, after a few real world miles on the road, that the rockerbox gasket leaks, head bearings need replacing, and the front brake rotor is warped. Get the dealer to let you take that thing out on the road so you can give it a good shake down, then use a flashlight(one on your cellphone should work) and an inspection mirror to inspect every nook and cranny on the bike. It’s also a good idea to drop a magnetic grabber into the swingarm to make sure there are NO metal shavings in the oil. If the magnet comes out of that oil tank with an Afro Id walk away from the bike no matter how good the deal is.
    If any issues to arise after purchase that the dealer won’t cover have the confidence to work on the bike yourself. They’re fairly simple machines. With the service manual and the knowledge on this site you should have no issues keeping the bike healthy.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Inactive
    very nice collection including one of the most iconic and desirable small-bore multis ever built.....the CB400F. well done.
    the CityX as pictured is a nice stocker with exception of the exhaust and is a fairly rare "Kick-Ash" transluscent model. CityX designations get a bit confusing as brochures and some dealer computer info refers to it as CityX....some SX...and some KX. all the same bike BUT KX refers to the 4th and 5th VIN digits which designate CityX model only. see attached pic to break down the VIN of this bike and verify it is what you hope it is. i see it also appears to be calif. model/CA emissions package.
    all CityX's were 984cc models and very popular sellers. have some nice OEM features like hand guards...cross-braced handlebar....X protector atop airbox cover....special badging and decals....color keyed cheese-grate inlay....headlight bucket grill.... L&R frame protectors....a few more items. a 2007 Kick-Ash in nice original condition with respectable mileage and unmodified typically here on the east coast sells in the $3200-$4000 range.
    if it's fairly priced....nice condition....NOT beaten or abused....CLEAN TITLE with no crash or salvage codes on same....and you or someone locally capable of service/repair/maintaining it then strongly consider buying. XB's do NOT like or take well to excessive heat...period. tell-tale signs of exposure to same are non-working or noisy fan....top end oil leaks...heavy oil build-up on airbox base-plate along with oil-coated air filter....discolored header down to the collector area. if you're set on a V-twin and this XB9 doesn't work out or can't pass close scrutiny then consider an older V-strom or Sportster. both plentiful, bomb-proof, and nice choices.
    decode the VIN here:

xb2006-2008&1125.jpg

Sorry to go against the grain but, for a 16 mile trek to work, keep what you got. You say your not interested in long rides, the Buells in my opinion, are not that great for putting around town. They like to be rode hard and put away still sweating, meaning blown out from carbon build up due to, putting around town ! I wouldn't hesitate to take my Ulysses across the country and several people here have done it more than once.

Don't take this the wrong way but, it sounds like you want a bigger bike in the garage to be able to say, I have a bigger bike !

O.k. go ahead and jump on me.

I think the Buell is perfect for the commute.

The cityX bike is perfect for the city IMO ,Thus its called a cityX. I had a 09 Blue one, great for a 2 hr blast also. .
    city.JPG

ksquare,

Problem is once you get the CityX you will be not limiting yourself to your commute but getting out into the world and putting some miles on--particularly if you have any mountain or windy coastal roads around. If you have issues the forum guys will help you to sort out things out. True, they might beat you up a little but all in good form.

Opto

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it, that's all I can say.

Banned
    You can buy, ride and enjoy any motorcycle. There is nothing exceptional about 2007 Lightning CITYX XB9SX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast