Thread: Dunlop Tires

Hybrid View

Dunlop Tires

I have been using Dunlop Q3 tires since the first time I replaced tires on my 07 XB12s. It had Pirelli's on it and to be honest it got king of squirrely with those, especially the back.

I went to the Q3's and love them but they don't last very long. Last time I went to the Q3+ and still roaching them at about 2K. I do ride hard, is this normal?

Thanks
    Last edited by maintenceman; 08-12-2018 at 10:50 PM.

What pressure are you running in them? I'm assuming you're running extremely low pressures front and rear since you claim to ride hard! If you are, then yeah that's what happens to hypersport tires ridden hard at low pressure. Want tires that last longer, buy a commuter tire, run regular people pressure and don't beat them. Ride hard on non hypersport tires at regular pressures and you're gonna have a get off. The choice is yours! P.S. If your riding that hard on the street, you're gonna get off sooner or later anyway! Take it to the track man.
    Last edited by wickedchop; 08-13-2018 at 08:56 AM.

I get about 3k on the Q3's at 36psi on the EBR. No commuting, just corners. Completely square on the front and down to the tread depth markers all across the rear. I do like the confidence they give me and can't complain about buying nice tires for riding fast.

Just put on a set of Q3+'s and hoping for better but now TWO friends (both on SuperDukes) have had tread separation on them at 800-1000 miles

I'm not sure how hard you're riding a 100hp everyday street bike to kill tires that fast but no matter, good tires are still cheaper than a wreck from cheap tires.

Thanks all, Running 33 and 34 psi, I don't commute and ya, The tires never fail me. Just wondering what others were getting out of the Dunlops. Will keep buying them, (Just bought another rear) and Cooter, the 3+ to me did not seem to give any extended life to the middle of the tire (which was suppose to go an additional 20%), but the wear on the sides was significantly less that the regular Q3's,FWIW.

Ya, I run fairly hard.

What's teabag running for tires? He gets 15k plus out of them, but that might be due to his brake cooling scoop?

Currently at 1.4-1.5k on my first set of Q3+s, and they still look fairly 'young'. The previous set of Q3s lasted just about 4k miles (but were definitely ready to be replaced). I run them fairly hard - back roads and twisties - 34 psi front and 36 psi rear.

Try some Dunlop Roadsmarts. They still have plenty of grip to get your knee down, still made in USA, and they'll last 3-4 times as long.

There are some great reviews (and personal experiences) out there on the Roadsmart IIIs (as Shatrat says). I might need to try them at some point given the kind of mileage (and grip) folks say they are getting.