Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Uly hiccup

True confessions time--In this instance I am not going to do the fuel pump repair myself. There is a new small motorcycle shop in town, they do good work and are reasonable.

I am kind of busy these days and just want the work done. Reading about the monkey business to get the V-6 Mustang pump to work, chasing down fuel filters and O-rings it seems that, considering hourly rates and all, that best move is to purchase a new unit from SP Harley. The unit is complete and ready to go including O-rings. $360 is a heavy hit but makes sense against a used one from ebay or piecing one together and paying the shop rate to do that.

Yes I will make sure all the diagnostics are performed before tearing into it. I can always rebuild the old one later and have as a spare.

I am guessing 3 hours for the job.

Thanks again to all for the kind help--will let you know the outcome of all this.

Opto

Not for nothing but, you could have figured this out four pages ago !

Well, Loco, sorry to appear insecure but frankly I was stumped for awhile. Actually all the results are not in yet so still some mystery. Stranded on the side of a very busy road not understanding what is wrong was very stressful for me. Sorry I am not a tough guy like some. Even fellow forum guys had different opinions--check the grounds, could be this could be that. I decided it was fuel related and have had some support for that theory. Reading and understanding as much as I can on the subject trying to get a handle on all the permutations. All new terrain for me.

I will let you know the outcome when I know it.

Opto

Take a deep breath. Possibly a time out in a safe zone. All better now. Ok.

That is real helpful, Outlaw--what do you know, really? You should go drink a latte with Tbag

Well, insults from the peanut gallery not withstanding, I will give you a report on the Uly. One month later, back on the road.
    Yes, I farmed out the work. Yes, it took forever. Yes, I replaced the entire fuel pump. Yes, it cost a bundle. Yes, the fuel pump per se was not the problem, the problem was the pressure regulator, or rather the filter screens on the pressure regulator--totally plugged with some black sandy gunk.

Small local startup shop, nice people but growing pains -- anyway bike now happening, do not know if I will get a trip in this fall or not.

Opto

Inactive
    the problem was the pressure regulator, or rather the filter screens on the pressure regulator-

there is NO such thing. would be confusing to readers not familiar with these pumps.
    upwind from the pump there is a "sock" style filter....downwind from the pump there is an automotive style inline filter. there is NO filter attached to or related to the pressure regulator. period.

Well, Lunatic, right away one sees the advantage of doing one's own work. I would not be spewing off, or passing on, inaccuracies--so my bad. Anyway, I think the dirty filter(s) part is accurate.

Which reminds me to collect up the old pump tomorrow. I want to trust these vendors but there are a few things that make me wonder about them, besides the fact that they took forever.

As usual, thanks for your skill/knowledge set.

I suppose the fix is to filter the fuel before it goes into the tank--not an easy thing. On the boats, back in the day we used an old felt hat to run the fuel through--amazing the crud that comes from the storage tanks.

Opto

All,

Seems to be all happening once again in Uly land. Last night I got all paranoid and started thinking the Bike Shop had cleaned or changed the filters only and kept the same old pump and stuff. I paid a good chunk of $ in advance. Anyway, I went to the shop and sure enough they had all the old parts. Good to have my faith Not Shattered. Weird to get weird and thinking about small claims court and getting ripped off etc.

So I paid for the spendy pump from SP Harley, and the shop charged me 3.5 hours for the pump change out etc. plus included and oil/filter change. So there it is.

Tomorrow looks to be a good day so I will put 80+ miles on and hope for the best.

Opto

Good Luck Opto! I hope the test ride goes well

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast