Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uly hiccup

Uly hiccup

All, I thought I would ask for some input before I tear into this:

'09 Uly with 19,500 miles. I have put on 5,000+ of them. Never any issues except I did change out a starter and new HD battery.

So now I am supposed to be in Oregon, sharing a campfire with Cooter but my bike has crapped out.

Just purring along as it has for 3 years. Started from a light and the motor cut out for a micro second and then caught and lurched ahead. Did that in each gear. Weird, as there was no warning. The bike is pretty tidy, doesn't burn any oil and gets 50 mpg at 65 miles per. I put a Drummer SS exhaust on 3 years ago and the appropriate ECM.

Kill switch short, fuel pump wire short, a sensor failing??? Where to begin?

Opto

Banned
    Clean the ground contacts.

Cracked ECM connector. It's common with the Uly and will produce those symptoms. Try idling the bike and wiggle the grey connector. Listen for a change in engine running.

Banned
    Never trust Buell.

To all helpful folks,

To Lunatic and LouW, Thanks for the helpful hints and I will check those things out.

1. Did not see a CEL
    2. I have the spacer block to keep the ECM from getting damaged.
    3. Fortunately only a few miles from home so not stranded thanks for your concern. Still runs.
    4. I will go through the grounds ( again, they all looked good awhile ago) and try the other ideas.
    5. TBag, stupid comments do not help

If you end up cleaning the grounds up, apply some motorcycle chain lube, it has a anti-corrossive in it and really helps it stay clean.

Teabag, your an idiot !

To all helpful Buellmates,

So weirder and weirder--I let the bike sit for 24 hours(for both of us to cool down). I just now ran the checks suggested, cycled the kill switch a few times, wiggled all the big connectors etc.---Nothing obvious.

Bike started right up and I took it for a fairly lively test ride, ran through all the gears, ran up near the red line etc. The bike ran just fine.

Conclusion--do not like it when things fix themselves.

BTW Yesterday was quite hot and muggy and the air was totally smokey from all the nearby forest fires. The sun was a dull orange and the index was 209 (300 is near dark) in fact I learned that our area had the worst smoke index in the state (WA). I wonder if the O2 sensor got mixed up.

Thanks again for everyone's inputs and we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.

Opto

Conclusion--do not like it when things fix themselves.
    I hate that feeling aswell, unfortunately my uly "fixed"itself for about 150 miles when it's ecm failed. I never could get it to act up with wire wiggling either. Just went through the service manual trouble shooting after it acted up again and every test pointed to the ecm. Here's hoping you're luckier than i!

Edit: I did get a CEL and same repeated code in my case
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 08-23-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Banned
    I rode my 2009 Buell XB all those last smokey days in Seattle including today and had no issues. I do not think this is O2 sensor. Just clean and tighten battery connectors. Also install voltmeter on motorcycle so at least you will know if this is alternator, or battery, or battery contacts related issue or not. It also will save you in the future from situation like this before it will be to late and too far from home.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-23-2018 at 02:01 AM.

All,

I will drive it to work tomorrow, around 80 miles round trip, and report back. Pretty sure it is charging properly as it has no problems starting, even after sitting idle for several weeks. Lights are nice and bright and all that.

A voltmeter is a good add on, I will work on that. No CEL at all when running and the ECM is a new one from Kevin D.

all the grounds are visually good so do not know what to think at this stage. I will get some help with the code reading from someone that is more tech savvy than me.

Opto

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast