Thread: Posting low voltage cell

Posting low voltage cell

My 2008 20,000 XT started posting intermittent cel warnings. The idiot light would turn on and off when riding, never solid. I connected the laptop and the bike was posting low voltage CEL errors. The stator tested ok with a volt meter. With a volt meter connected to the battery I saw a low voltage of 11.3ish volts idling, then it jumped back up to 14 volts. On spec I changed the voltage regulator. Over 200miles and no cel light. Just putting it out there.

Is it possible to rebuild the voltage regulator? New power transistors/diodes?

Good diagnosing, I've never heard of someone rebuilding it, I have heard of people using a sportster VR only difference being the length of the wires.

Inactive
    Is it possible to rebuild the voltage regulator? New power transistors/diodes?

NO

H-D XL/XR series VR's do NOT match buell mounting system AND wiring harnesses(2 on single phase such as your year) way too short.

Besides its cheap and easy enough to plug in a new OE one.

A VR upgrade to a MOSFET non-shunt style with bigger capacity is also inexpensive with a little internet search.

Yes John is correct ( as usual ) you would have to make up a mounting base for the sporty VR to bolt up but at the same time you would be giving the VR as bit more insulation from the heat of the engine. Yes the wires would also need some work, I have not done this nor have I faced this problem, this was just a suggestion.

Cooter I will research the Mosfet none shunt set up.