Thread: Need fuel filter grommets - mine are split.

Need fuel filter grommets - mine are split.

Hi there, I need to locate the 2 rubber grommets that go either end of the fuel filter. One of mine is split and it's causing fuel supply issues.

I have searched online but cannot find any mention of them, only the fuel pump o rings, which I will need as well but I reckon Ace probably has those.

Anyone have any idea where to get hold of these?

Thanks.

it's for a Uly XB12X but I think its the same for all XBs so I posted here to get more views. Sorry if this is wrong.
    Last edited by Gingahippy; 08-27-2018 at 02:23 AM.

If you can't find them, try getting some fuel hose, split it, then find some fuel resistant glue, glue the ends up and make your own. Or put different size fuel resistant hose on the ends until you get the right size.

I just tried that, the space is tapered and so are the grommets. Also much softer rubber than fuel hose.

Hello everyone,. I just enrolled on this site and I have no clue as to how to ask a question where everyone can see it and whether or not I'm asking the question in the correct spot? Can someone please help me? I have a couple questions and I can't find them anywhere.

Alex

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingahippy View Post
    Hi there, I need to locate the 2 rubber grommets that go either end of the fuel filter. One of mine is split and it's causing fuel supply issues.

I have searched online but cannot find any mention of them, only the fuel pump o rings, which I will need as well but I reckon Ace probably has those.

Anyone have any idea where to get hold of these?

Thanks.

it's for a Uly XB12X but I think its the same for all XBs so I posted here to get more views. Sorry if this is wrong.
    the XB series fuel pump assembly seems to be completely misunderstood by most on this board and viewed as some sort of US military-designed top-secret contrivance only to be viewed at with wonderlust and amazement....never to be tampered with. that ethos as baffling to me as TEABAG when he's "off" his bi-polar meds.
    having said that here's your solutions:
    1-the fuel STRAINER is on pump suction side....the FILTER is on pump delivery side.
    2-there are NOT any O-rings or grommets on either side of the FILTER. on either side of the filter is a BUSHING.
    the bushing IS NOT AVAILABLE anywhere and never has been. no PNA ever assigned from the manufacturer.
    3-a healthy pump UNSTRAINED and UNFILTERED should bench-test pump approx. 2-1/4 quarts of liquid a minute at approx. 50-55PSI. these numbers are all you need to know. if the actual pump itself is not delivering these rates it is faulty and should be replaced. PERIOD!
    4-with approx. ONE GALLON of fuel in an XB frame....if you turn on key switch and place red-run switch to ON....and do NOT start the motor......and you have either an internal line with hole/split in it OR faulty filter BUSHINGS you will always hear fuel being sprayed inside the tank. very simple test nobody ever does or mentions.
    5-if the BUSHINGS on either side of the filter are faulty you will have extremely low pressure output at the pumps' external connection. baffling to me that these bushings always overlooked.....never even mentioned. solution??????
    use 5/16" fuel hose rated for submersion in fuel. Gates 27039 and AC-Delco 32306 are 5/16" fuel hose that have the J30R10 specification. simply use 200 grit sandpaper to massage them and whittle down to correct OD so that they fit. in other words use this fuel line i recommend to make your own pair of bushings. AGAIN....THERE ARE NO REPLACEMENTS!

this really should be one of those "stickies" on here.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-28-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Fantastic info Lunatic.

+1 for the sticky

Hi guys, sorry to be contrary but after much searching and asking I located these:

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-x1-all-xb-b5f

A guy who works on Buells extensively told me that mine were the shaped as they are (bell shaped) because they have deformed that way over time. They arrive on Wednesday and i'll post back and let people know if they worked or not.

I was just about to go down the 'fuel hose on a drill bit pressed against sandpaper' route, that may still happen.

Thanks for you input.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingahippy View Post
    Hi guys, sorry to be contrary but after much searching and asking I located these:

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-x1-all-xb-b5f

A guy who works on Buells extensively told me that mine were the shaped as they are (bell shaped) because they have deformed that way over time. They arrive on Wednesday and i'll post back and let people know if they worked or not.

I was just about to go down the 'fuel hose on a drill bit pressed against sandpaper' route, that may still happen.

Thanks for you input.

might....might not. schematic is for tuber-framed buell pump as is the applicable part # you listed. if a pair of them works good for you and nice find. then again @ that price i'll continue to manufacture my own pair when needed.