Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fit new belt on old sprockets?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by LightXB12s View Post
    I have a 65 tooth rear sprocket (although the bike was imported & registered in the UK in 2003). Anyone know the part number for the appropriate belt? Thanks.
    Son....you better be damn sure what you have there before you go belt shopping. Kona spot-on as usual with his info above which is always outstanding. IF your 2003 S model is now sporting a rear 65T pulley/front 27T pulley......AND your old belt is 1-1/8th inches in width....then you'll need a standard 2004 and later S model stock belt which is 128T count. here's your factory part numbers:
    G0500.1AAH (suffix U8A) which supersedes all previous part numbers G0500.1AAA, G0500.1AAE, G0500.1AAG
    dealer list price is $186
    Goodyear----BDL---Panther also offer alternatives. pitch is 14mm.

New belt filtted as per the service manual instructions. (G0500.1AAH belt which is black not grey like the original and has a yellow strip running along it - Kevlar?),
    Bearings in the idler pulley also replaced. Thanks for all the advice!

Only thing is that after a short ride the belt has moved a few mm off the rear sprocket. Will try to knock it back it in with a rubber mallet and see if stays in place...

Rear sprocket was changed as well to (a used but much better condition one). 27T front sprocket was not changed or even removed, as I couldn't feel any pitting on it.

> Only thing is that after a short ride the belt has moved a few mm off the rear sprocket. Will try to knock it back it in with a rubber mallet and see if stays in place...
    Will be watching the rear belt position carefully before any I try any long journeys.

Inactive
    Will try to knock it back it in with a rubber mallet and see if stays in place...

i wouldn't do that.............and it won't.

Nothing can do regarding it's alignment except watch it (it overhangs the sprocket teeth by1-2mm).
    Old belt never drifted in 15 years.

It is overhanging about the same amount all along where it meets the teeth but there is still a chance it might just be wheel/sprocket misalignment in the swingarm???

Doesn't look right, but hasn't drifted further in 100 miles of riding, so I'll stop taking a rubber mallet with me...
    belt-back-s.jpg
    belt-side-s.jpg

Mine looks exactly like that and hasn't moved in years. I found a very small fray in my old belt and replaced it although I probably could have kept on using my old one until it broke. But I figured better safe than sorry, not to mention, I got a cheap belt off of a guy parting out a bike.

I'm at work and didn't ride my bike as it is still in the mid 100 degree weather here in Phoenix. But I'll try and get a picture this weekend.

I wouldnt worry about the alignment. You dont want it rubbing on that back flange all the time either. Glad we could help and it looks like we prevented you from ordering the wrong belt.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12