Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front brake lever "sticking" -- weird lever behavior

Inactive
    but this is the same play I'm experiencing... Is this normal?

yep.
    do what jesse said. remove each rotor bolt ONE AT A TIME.....clean threads....make certain rotor positioning spacer correctly installed(rounded edges towards wheel center)....1 drop of blue loctite on bolt thread....reinstall. torque to front 25-27ft. lbs

it's all in here. you need this......................
    http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ice_manual.pdf

I don't want to confuse this well taken care of thread. But...

The ZTL M/C is 14mm, and one for the later ZTL-2 is 19mm. (IIRC, but they are definitely different)

I've had sticking problems with the lever similar to what you describe and a touch of grease on the tip of the M/C piston will allow the shoe on the lever that contacts it to slip across its face and make it surprisingly smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I don't want to confuse this well taken care of thread. But...

The ZTL M/C is 14mm, and one for the later ZTL-2 is 19mm. (IIRC, but they are definitely different)

I've had sticking problems with the lever similar to what you describe and a touch of grease on the tip of the M/C piston will allow the shoe on the lever that contacts it to slip across its face and make it surprisingly smoother.
    St. Paul HD says that my parts are on backorder -- so it will take a while longer to get the rebuild kit.

In the meantime, I put some dielectric silicone grease on the tip of the MC piston. It had some build up/oxidation on the surface.

I also put it on the pivot pin as well...

Haven't test rode it but it feels much much better. Less "squishy" and I'm pretty confident that this will improve braking.

Will report back here. If it works -- thanks for the idea! Of course I'll still rebuild the MC, after seeing the condition of the piston/plunger.

Quote Originally Posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
    St. Paul HD says that my parts are on backorder -- so it will take a while longer to get the rebuild kit.

In the meantime, I put some dielectric silicone grease on the tip of the MC piston. It had some build up/oxidation on the surface.

I also put it on the pivot pin as well...

Haven't test rode it but it feels much much better. Less "squishy" and I'm pretty confident that this will improve braking.

Will report back here. If it works -- thanks for the idea! Of course I'll still rebuild the MC, after seeing the condition of the piston/plunger.

Cooter -- your suggestion seemed to work.

Although it is a temporary fix, braking behavior/power has seemingly returned to normal. A MC rebuild is in my future, but for now I can stop confidently (and safely).

Thanks everyone for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12