Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine light followed by clutch cable disengaging

Engine light followed by clutch cable disengaging

I had my engine light come on while riding, following by surging, and finally the clutch cable going completely slack, down to hand grip. If the clutch cable were to loosen, would that trigger an engine default? The engine starts and runs fine when not in gear, any suggestions what is most likely happening?

Thanks

2 different problems.

1) Buy a clutch cable, yours is broken.

2) Download the manual from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com (free) to see how to check the code for why the CEL is on.

I’m assuming after looking at the downloads you are recommending I need to purchase the module to connect to my ecm?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xlntcfp View Post
    I had my engine light come on while riding, following by surging, and finally the clutch cable going completely slack, down to hand grip. If the clutch cable were to loosen, would that trigger an engine default? The engine starts and runs fine when not in gear, any suggestions what is most likely happening?

Thanks
    YOUR LACK OF PROVIDED INFO precludes accurate help and simple diagnostic walk-thru. provide the below and i'll help you trouble-shoot and steps to repair:
    year
    model
    mileage
    recent prior problems if any including intermittent CEL???
    does the clutch lever now work correctly OR NOT????
    is the CEL still illuminated???

2009 Buell Ulysses Xb12xt
    12,350 Miles
    No prior issues, recently added a third of a quart of oil was slightly low
    Clutch does not work
    CEL IS NOT Still ILLUMINATED
    Thanks in advance for your input

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xlntcfp View Post
    2009 Buell Ulysses Xb12xt
    12,350 Miles
    No prior issues, recently added a third of a quart of oil was slightly low
    Clutch does not work
    CEL IS NOT Still ILLUMINATED
    Thanks in advance for your input
    If the clutch cable were to loosen, would that trigger an engine default?
    typically NO.

the only scenario i can think of that would cause a momentary CEL in your situation is a violent engine shudder from a breakage under throttle in conjunction with a loose battery cable at the terminal....resulting in CEL and fault code #16. your cable is an "inline barrel adjuster" style and they do NOT randomly loosen up. it is one of the simplest most bomb-proof clutch systems ever installed on a bike and consists of lever---perch---lever pin---cable---actuator assembly. you have something broken and here are the only possibilities:
    lever end where cable ball engages-----highly unlikely.
    lever perch---highly unlikely.
    one or both cable ball ends----likely
    cable frayed and torn internally---likely
    clutch "ball and ramp" actuator---highly unlikely
    primary cover clutch acutator floor aka primary cover lip----very likely
    start up at the clutch lever and work your way down visually inspecting and you'll quickly find the problem. if you visually can't see it then remove the primary derby cover with spring and locker. that reveals the actuator and floor. there's your problem.
    pics are showing where your ecm diagnostics port is under seat....and what a broken clutch actuator floor looks like.
    you should also use this link and quickly check for any stored fault codes. you cannot clear codes with this method but can reveal them.
    NOTE: if you only need to purchase a new cable be damn certain it's for your Ulysses and NOT a standard S model buell. Uly cable longest available. ALSO...it is shipped dry and must be pre-lubed for longevity and ease of lever pull.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

ecm port.jpg434502.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-30-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Lunatic has described a very good way to make sure your cable is broken before you buy one. Do that

Your ECM will still keep the code stored whether the light is on or not.

I was suggesting getting the service manual download from either of the sites I posted for you. It has a simple procedure to check for codes without buy ing anything, then you can continue to diagnose it.

Buelltooth.com also sells a communication device ($40-ish) so the program ECMDroid (free) can look into your ECM and to the same thing. It's very handy to have if you are slightly computer literate.

Thanks for your help!

Clutch cable not broken...I’m having it towed to mechanic.....

Primary chain broken or bad clutch stuff. Bummer, but please report what he finds when he pulls the cover off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast