Thread: New to me 08 Uly XT

New to me 08 Uly XT

Hi all,

New here and just picked up my first Buell since 10 years ago when I had an XB9S. Love this thing and got a great deal on it. Been wanting a Uly XT for a while and couldn't pass it up. Has some aftermarket pegs, levers, all of the luggage and the Uly X original seat on it. Has 18k miles on it. Hopefully the pics upload correctly. Can't wait to hear from some of y'all and learn from those on here.

Welcome to the board

Nice, carbon fiber front fender !

Lol yeah the guy said he accidentally messed the original one up so bought a cheapo carbon fiber one to replace it.

Inactive
    nice looking and one of my fav buells ever. do yourself a favor and have a nice evening project in the process: do NOT rely on looks or what the PO told you....change all the fluids. simple drain/swab-out/replenish/bleed out/fill both master cylinders with DOT-4 and change the motor oil and primary fluids. any quality 20wt-50 for the motor....a quality oil filter such as Wix or OEM...and a 20wt-50 primary oil such as amsoil or comparable. whatever primary oil you choose to go with make damn sure it's JASO-MA rated or higher which means it's wet-clutch/trans compatible. i use amsoil exclusively but a multitude of choices out there. while you're doing this also suggest removing the seat, the battery cables, inspect and clean cable ends and batt terminals and reinstall. these things hell on batteries.
    capacities: engine is 2.5 quarts with filter change..............primary 1 quart with 1/2 hour drain.
    swingarm and primary case drain plugs interchangeable. replace the O-ring on each to be safe.

Welcome, Nice Uly Do all the above ^^^ and you will be good for another 18 K .

Thanks for all the detailed info Lunaticfringe! I appreciate that.

As soon as I took delivery yesterday I rode it home then flushed all the fluids and changed the oil filter with an OEM one he gave me. He was cool enough to give me a case of amsoil 20wt-50 with 5 quarts left in it. He also ran through all of general maintenance stuff with me to go over it so that I wouldn't be in the dark. Later the same day he contacted me and brought me a service manual he had as well as all the OEM pegs and levers and other stuff for the bike that he found after I left. He had the battery replaced 6 months ago and the contacts were clean. He gave me all the receipts he has for everything the last couple years as well. I felt good buying from him. My last bike was a SV650 and the guy was super weird about the sale. 6 months later I was nearly a grand into fixing it back to normal. Needless to say I learned my lesson on that one.

Thanks again for the info and the welcome.

Inactive
    always my pleasure and you're way ahead of the curve. that seller is a rare breed indeed and his attitude and kindness indicative of someone who took excellent care of the bike and cherished it. you did well. for what it's worth i'd save the amsoil specifically for the primary fill...change the primary every other oil change...and run something like rotellaT or castrol actevo in the motor. these are roller bearing crank assemblies with hydraulic lifters and fairly light valve spring pressures. XB motors pretty gentle on motor oil. open your fuse box lid sometime and you'll see all the fuses and the 3 relays which are marked key switch/ignition/start. always carry a few spare fuses and 1 relay with you. put in small plastic bag and stash under the seat. the relays are common chrysler and ford a/c relays available everywhere for a few bucks. last thing i can think of is if you ever get a random flashing CEL(check engine light) it's always loose battery cables.

Awesome, I'll follow all the tips for sure. Thanks again! So far I am loving the bike. I haven't been able to take it on an extended ride yet but the few hours I have on it so far have been stupid grin after stupid grin moments. I missed Buell bikes a lot lol.