Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 XB9 idle/running issues

Hybrid View

2008 XB9 idle/running issues

I have searched the forums and internet. The bike is a 2008 City Lightning XB9. The bike ran fine for a year once the H-D plugs (fouled from short rides) were changed out for NGK Iridium Sparkplug DCPR8EIX.

Then suddenly the bike began to miss /lack power a different rpm's. Also has a hard time idling. Goes from 900 rpm to 1500 rpm or dies.

A TPS reset seemed to fix the issue for about two weeks. Then the issues recurred.

Pulled the codes. Replaced the TPS, the O2 sensor. Then replaced the throttle body seals with the James Gasket. Checked the spark plugs (both good). Checked the battery voltage (good). Checked the voltage regulator at different rpms. It never over charged or under charged. Checked grounds.

After resetting the the TPS three times the idle stabilized. Took it for a ride. It still missed at some RPMs. I rode it for about five miles. No codes were indicated (other than older stored codes).

After letting the bike sit overnight, all the old issues appeared.

It is as if the TPS reset will not be learned by the ECM.

Leaning towards fuel pump or filter, except it runs great at speed and high rpms.

So, I am looking for any guidance/suggestions.

Inactive
    thru all this did you ever receive historical fault code #34?
    reason i ask is that a failing IAC assembly will mirrors virtually every symptom you mentioned.
    it has been listed as NLA for over 2 years now but i still stock them if needed.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did research the IAC. There is no historical Code 34 stored. If it was an out of range/bad IAC it should of recorded the code. I can only retrieve codes via flashing engine lamp method. I have not been able to locate any ECM software for the 2009.

Inactive
    IAC assembly often times acts up without storing historical fault code due to the fact that the unit itself is not failing. click link...worth a try....as mentioned your symptoms often times associated with IAC in need of servicing. i'd also recheck your underseat/left frame-rail grounds...the ecm ground wire in particular. my late 2009 cherry bomb cityX flared up with your symptoms a few years ago and maintenance as per the link resolved it.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...38/634269.html

cherry2.jpg

I will give this a try this weekend. Easy enough. (Unlike getting to those Throttle Body Gaskets). I do not like to throw new parts at a problem unless needed. Especially discontinued parts. Although, I am tempted to change out the IAC. Thank you again.

Is it true that there is no ECM software available for the 2008 up models? I repair and modify Navy ships and have software to my job. But I cannot for the life of me locate any software for this bike. It is as if the ECM was not re-programmable. Driving me mad not being able to retrieve historical history, real time information, or be able to make modifications to the lean mixture.

Inactive
    Is it true that there is no ECM software available for the 2008 up models?

not true my friend. the ECM gurus sure to chime in when they see this but there's ecmspy....buelltooth...a few others.

https://www.buelltooth.com/ecm-basics.html

Interesting. If they do not chime in I will start a different thread. First is to get this beast running correctly again.

IAC is a really good direction.
    CPS is one too. They like to fail only when warm causing 'diagnostic hair pulling'. Cheap to replace but can be tested using a hairdryer.
    The later DDFI-3 fuel programs are readily available, especially if you have the latest BUE-2D firmware. I would be extremely rare that a ECM program is causing the issue.

The rule is: FIX the bike, then modify the bike.

Agree with fix the bike, then modify ECM 100%. I do not think it is an ECM issue. Going to check the IAC and clean it up. The CPS has crossed my mind. I certainly do not need to warm it up though. In the high desert I would need to cool it down and see if the problem goes away. Perhaps a can of liquid air on it will cool it done enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast