Thread: Dim neutral light, not starting

Dim neutral light, not starting

Hi all,

I saw a related thread on this, but my situation's a bit worse. My neutral light is either off or dim when my City X is in neutral. It won't start regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or not. I'm on a trip up in British Columbia with some friends now, and we're having to bump start my bike every time now. Have to take a ferry to get home tomorrow, and they don't like to let vehicles on their boats if they don't start (can't push a bike on board). When I press the start button, if the neutral light is on at all, it dims down to nothing. Prior to this happening, it started fine. My friend wiggled a wire where it entered the top of the primary case, and it started, so the battery's fine. Seems like an electrical connection rather than the switch/sensor. Anyone have any suggestions? I only have the standard toolkit with me, but will have access to a hardware store tomorrow.

-Jim

Just been looking at the wiring diagram in the Electrical Diagnostic manual.
    The neutral light turns on when current flows from the red power lead to the speedo assbly through the neutral lamp to earth at the neutral switch. There is only a path to earth when the neutral switch makes internally and earths through the engine.
    If it barely glows or not at all then there is something wrong with the path to earth. Most likely it's either the wire to the neutral switch chafed, or the neutral switch itself has an internal issue. The neutral switch is in a real vulnerable position right next to the spinning drive pulley (partially hidden at 2 O'clock by the gearbox output pulley). You need to remove the drive pulley cover to see it.
    The tan/yellow wire from the speedo to the neutral switch is joined in the loom to the tan/yellow wire from the gray plug on the ECM. Presumably this tells the ECM when the bike is in neutral and connects inside the ECM with the tan/green wire to the switch under the clutch lever. Not sure of how this bit works but I suppose the ECM connection could stop the bike from starting if the neutral switch has a poor earth.
    Sorry that's the best I can do - jv

Quote Originally Posted by nwguy View Post
    Hi all,

I'm on a trip up in British Columbia with some friends now, and we're having to bump start my bike every time now. Have to take a ferry to get home tomorrow, and they don't like to let vehicles on their boats if they don't start (can't push a bike on board).
    -Jim
    Don't know where you're heading but if it is on a WSF Ferry they will generally let you push the bike on after they finish loading the cars. Speak to the dock people while you're waiting.

I borrowed some wd-40 from the motel we're staying at, and shot some into the housing around the yellow starter button. Starts right up now! No neutral light, but I'll deal with that when I get home. Thanks all.