Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member needs help

New member needs help

Hey everyone. I’m about to purchase a 2004 Buell XB12s Lightning with 13k miles. Looking for any help of what I need to look out for when checking the bike. Thank you for any tips.

Make sure to check it starting when stone cold, check for oil leaks, and that after it starts with no help from the throttle that it also idles without any throttle, even wear on the belt, if you can, take the air filter cover off and check for oil around and on it also, check for oil around the rear cylinder Check that the back wheel turns freely with no roughness. Check the frame that there is no sign of body putty as that would mean the bike was dropped and it has a dent in the frame. Make sure the fuel pump isn't overly noisy and that it powers up the pressure. Let it idle long enough so the fan turns on,, take it for a spin if possible. Never blip the throttle on these bikes, they don't take well to it.

Good luck.

Any bit of info would let us help you considerably better. Got a link to the ad? Pics?

I bought it. Thank you for the help. I checked everything you mentioned and it all seems good. It has a couple marked on the swing arm. Looks like the suspension is set correctly. Might need to mess with that. The only other thing is the clear plastic on the gauge cluster is cracked. Anyone know where I can buy that?

Now that you own it, change all the fluids, including the brake fluid. No telling how long it has been in there and it will give you an opportunity to look over the bike as you are working on it. It isn't a hard job, just time consuming. Look over the belt for any damage and check the bearings on the bike. Changing the spark plugs can't hurt either and is a cheap, fairly easy job to do.

Buy a factory manual. It makes working on the bike as easy as can be as it really walks you through everything step by step.

Any of y’all have an issue cycling through the trips, mileage and clock? Mine is stuck on trip one now.

To get the correct maintenance schedule and a starting point for suspension set-up you can download the service manual for free from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

I have a couple cheap gauge clusters you can use for parts if you wish. PM me.

Yellow carbon is right, oil change, primary oil change, and BRAKE FLUID. So you have a good starting point. Check your tires carefully for patches wear, damage, and the date code. Good tread on an old tire is dangerous. Wash it really well and get to know it. The detail will force you to inspect things closely, thin brake pads? Fork seals weeping? Grease coming out of the wheel bearings? all signs of trip ruining trouble.

Welcome aboard ! We still want to see pics!!!

Thx , very nice look well taken care of , you scored!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast