Thread: BUELL Lightning XB12R

BUELL Lightning XB12R

Started shifting a little hard, sometimes popped out of gear after upshift. Always kept clutch cable at minimum slack then had to change half worn out though out bearing an while on ride it stayed stuck in neutral. Bad shifter forks????? So glad there's NO service door like the sportster ERICK BUELL....I will make it work again.

Not to bust your chops, but XB12Rs are actually "Firebolts".

There are some smart folks on here who will help you - that said, it's a bit hard to understand what's going on with your bike given the way your post is worded. Perhaps some more information and shorter/more clear sentences describing your symptoms?

Yes U are correct on the Firebolt description. I was reading info from a member about a lightning just before I posted. I'm all in. In know I have to pull the motor and separate it but was really wanting to know to use OEM parts or after market seeing how this happen with only 23,000 on the bike. Even the throw out bearing which I caught before it totally went. Just seeing if anyone had any tips or tricks to watch out for when I take it apart. It is just stuck in neutral and cant be shifted. No clunk or grinding noise of any kind when it happened. Coasted to a stop and had the wife bring the trailer. I have 2 other full dressers that keeps me happy all the time. 04 electra and 08 ultra.

Stuck in neutral could be a whole bunch of causes easier to fix than engine removal and cases split.

Your answers can be only as good as your questions

Like Cooter said you don't have to pull the motor you have to pull the primary cover and see what is going on in there.

Fellow Buell lovers- My stuck in Neutral is as bad as it can be. I did remove the primary cover then the clutch shell & sprocket & clutch hub along with front rotor & sprocket to get to the Shifter Cam Assembly and Shifter Lever Assembly. Bike was in a false neutral because I was able 2 unstick Shift Cam Assembly which was jammed and hard to rotate. It was stuck in between 2nd and 3rd gear. Small flat bladed screwdriver helped un stick Shift cam to get it to rotate into second gear which I could use my hand to turn Shift cam while rotating back wheel to go into 1st then to neutral. Any attempt to go beyond 2nd gear Shift cam gets wedged an stuck. So I will be removing the Engine and to all I would only say "Check your throw out bearing for ANY up an down back and fourth motion. OEM parts book just call it "bearing". I have always used Redline or Motul products so improper lubrication is out. See U when I'm up and running.