Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding o2 bung

Adding o2 bung

Planning my winter projects and one I hope to complete is a wide band o2. Only thing is the stock header stainless? How is everyone adding their 2nd o2 bung? I only have a mig welder and oxy-acetylene setup.

Use a small MIG welder. Try not to leave any holes or the tube will crack from vibration.

FYI, you don't need to add a bung for a WB O2. Put it in the stock location and you can Datalog with it. You can run the bike with it as well. It should have come with a NB emulator.

If you are looking to put a bung in the front header and tune with that be aware it's slightly different than reading from the rear.

Slightly different? I though adding dual WB, you wouldn't have to worry about the +2 rule. Yes I am wanting to add a front sensor. I do have a spare header however I cant remember if its a 12 or 9 header. IIRC the 12's were bigger?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    Slightly different? I though adding dual WB, you wouldn't have to worry about the +2 rule. Yes I am wanting to add a front sensor. I do have a spare header however I cant remember if its a 12 or 9 header. IIRC the 12's were bigger?
    1-XB12 header significantly LARGER pre-collector OD than XB9 header.
    2-2010 "dual-bung" correct XB12 header is factory part # S0101.7AA you MUST add suffix U7B to that # if ordering. at least 30 still left in system.....retails around $250.
    3-a quality ding and scratch free XB12 header if mint fetches $200 all day long. cherry yours out....sell it...buy what i listed above. but then again that might be too simplistic for your complex tastes????
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-21-2018 at 10:51 AM.

XB 9 headers are 1 5/8", XB12's are 1 7/8".
    If you're good with a torch, it can be gas welded and look very similar to a TIG weld.

If you've not done it, this is a short demo of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e5YHC_Owpg

Personally, I wouldn't recommend MIG unless you're a pro with it and are using gas. If you do, purge the tube with argon (100%, not a mix) since it's 304 stainless steel.

Most small weld shops can probably quote you a decent price to weld it in, I'd mark where it needs to be welded, maybe even drill the hole for them (uni-bit step drill) and hand them the header and the bung. $25-30 would be a safe bet on cost.

Did this recently on an xb12.

IMG_20180920_102614_01.jpg

You didn't say "dual WB" before, thats why I gave that answer.

Lunatic has a good point about just buying a header, the placement of the front O2 is a bit tighter than it looks by the front engine mount (and RSS if you have one) the angle is important for clearance but make sure the tip of the O2 is still as close to the center of the pipe as possible.

Dean is right, don't put a 9 header on a 12... and I assumed you know how to weld with your welders? A uni-bit will work fine and leaves a round hole (unlike a big drill bit) but it will leave a step to clean up on the lower part of the radius on the header, try a Rotabroach instead. Blair makes an inexpensive kit.
    http://shop.blairequipment.com/Fract...it-p/11090.htm
    Perfect precise holes every time. They will even cut very thick steel quickly (quietly!) and vastly more accurately than a hole saw

Clean work Dean! You must have a lot of practice welding haha

No idea whatchoo talkin about Willis.

Complex tastes? I can turn anything simple into an ordeal. Its a talent

Sounded like a good idea about the 12 header with dual bungs. I have a another header just have to see which one it is.

My bad, yes with the intention of going dual sensors. I cant remember the issues with a 12 header on a 9. Does it kill that much torque?
    I haven't welded stainless yet. Figures it could be a nice winter project. I may take the header out and take it to a shop.

I only have the standard gas for mig welding. I have a oxy ace setup just never welded stainless with either setup. Not sure how often I will have to, don't have the money to invest in that yet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast