Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding o2 bung

So since it's an 03, you're somewhat limited by the ecm capabilities. Not to worry though. You'll want to simulate the NB to the rear (stock O2) location, not the front. You can use the logworks software to record it as it runs, do playback and adjust the calibration as required. Run it with the widebands and displays as it is and observe the gauges so you know what it's doing BEFORE making any other changes. I found 14:1 at cruise works nicely, 13:1 or even a little richer for power.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    After reading that I don't think so as then no calculation would be used for the front o2 (bypassing the ECM) and I would have to interpolate the front cylinder by comparing the 2 logs.

yes. you would have to interpolate.
    all this techno-babble-jibberish makes wally...ricky huff...and i super throbbing rock hard.
    more please.
    How did you know!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!

Inactive
    I'm totally turned on right now

OP: what are you trying to do? Diagnose a running issue? You want gauges on the bike? Check factory mapping for perfection?

Like Dean, I have run twin O2's in 2010 stock locations (+/- 4" from the head) for extended mileage without issue. You can use the same WB sensor to emulate a NB input to the ECM for those times you enable CL operation in between tuning sessions where it's locked out.

So since it's an 03, you're somewhat limited by the ecm capabilities. Not to worry though. You'll want to simulate the NB to the rear (stock O2) location, not the front. You can use the logworks software to record it as it runs, do playback and adjust the calibration as required. Run it with the widebands and displays as it is and observe the gauges so you know what it's doing BEFORE making any other changes. I found 14:1 at cruise works nicely, 13:1 or even a little richer for power.

Absolute nonsense! The extraction and interpolation of voluminous binary data-logging invalid effort by buffoons and uneducated neer-do-wells who flutter in the breeze like so many earthbound Autumn leaves.

ich

I'm totally turned on right now

OP: what are you trying to do? Diagnose a running issue? You want gauges on the bike? Check factory mapping for perfection?

Like Dean, I have run twin O2's in 2010 stock locations (+/- 4" from the head) for extended mileage without issue. You can use the same WB sensor to emulate a NB input to the ECM for those times you enable CL operation in between tuning sessions where it's locked out.

Absolute nonsense! The extraction and interpolation of voluminous binary data-logging invalid effort by buffoons and uneducated neer-do-wells who flutter in the breeze like so many earthbound Autumn leaves.

ich
    Sorry man, I'll withdraw my comments.

ich
    LMAO - this is pretty much the EXACT reason I run the stock mappings, I "want" to upload some maps that I downloaded from some really amazing members but I just don't want to break something that works! I would rather deal with the quirks of my fueling systems than introduce a problem.

You would think after 25 years of IT experience I would want to start messing with my bike's maps.

99.9% of the time the issue is mechanical and 99.9% of the time trying to fix a mechanical problem with a software will result in problems :-) This holds true for just about everything with a CPU.

Does this make me a "buffoon" Jon?

I really shouldn't comment on something I'm not really educated in but it seems like EVERY time you guys start messing with the ecm its nothing but problems. My bike has a jardine can and no map..........it runs every time i start it, pops a little on decel but chics dig it. These are little air cooled sledge hammers! These aren't John Force's funny car........leave em alone!

Doh! Extrapolate…Lol.

I tweaked the timing maps and got rid of the low rpm stutter. It will also cruise at 2200. Bike was tuned in Florida. I’m in Wa now. As far as tuning the area that needs tuning is WOT. When at WOT if I slightly close the throttle (90%ish) the bike will pick up. I don’t want to remove fuel there without knowing where it’s at now. In case someone asks…AFV 93-95% consistently. I do plan on running the wb gauge. I want to see what’s actully going on. I suppose the easiest is just swapping which sensor is reporting.

As far as messing with the ECM, bikes are made to meet emissions. Not tuned to the area where it spends most it’s time. Fine tuning the ecm will improve power and can also lower emissions vs the “blanket” tune. Same thing with cars. Also in the middle of installing a MS3 onto a 98 5.9 GC.
    Last edited by rb70383; 11-28-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    99.9% of the time the issue is mechanical and 99.9% of the time trying to fix a mechanical problem with a software will result in problems :-) This holds true for just about everything with a CPU.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this statement regarding problems^^^^

I "mess" with the ECM programming for a fun education (I'm weird), and to enhance the mods I've done becauseI know my bike runs well now, and is mechanically sound

"Also in the middle of installing a MS3 onto a 98 5.9 GC" sounds like a real nice stereo system !

MS3

Who said I was using the ECM to fix a poorly running bike? I'm wanting to add another O2 in order to, like Cooter said "mess" with it to fine tune it. However more precise adjustments cannot be made without better equipment. Hence the WB O2's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast