Thread: First time Buyer 2003 XB9R, Noises?

Threaded View

First time Buyer 2003 XB9R, Noises?

We looked at a near perfect 2003 XB9R. 13,000 miles. It's not got a nick or scratch on it. No warning lights, Never wet. No leaks. It started fine, sounded good cold and it drove great. Smooth brakes, new dunlops, serviced 300 Miles ago at a Harley dealer with Harley Oil and Filters plugs wires etc. My issue is the engine noise. It started cold with a slight tick. No concerns there. It sounded OK. After it got warm it seemed real noisy. A lot of valve train or lifter noise in my opinion. When my son returned from the ride, I could hear the engine noises from 5-7 car lengths away. It was sort of a sewing machine sound, but seems pretty loud. I do not think he could hear it, it radiated out of the sides and front. It was running smooth but does seem to have a "cammed up" type idle. I have no history to know if it is tuned or Mod'd. It was bought in Massachusetts early in the season. It does have an aftermarket exhaust.

The "Owner" says the Harley shop said it sounded like a lifter and they would not worry about it, just drive it. It's common. They would only attempt a fix in the winter time as it will take a lot of time if it "bothered" the Owner. Two other local harley repair shops (but not official Harley shops) do not work on Buells or would not touch it. I think the owner may be selling due to the engine noise but I am not certain.

Should I still consider it or run? It's just South of $1.9K.

My 1995 EVO has 1/4 of the valve train noise thing thing has, but I understand its a performance motor and they tend to be noisy. I have had new Indian Scouts and they have mild valve train noise louder over time, and currently have an EG and Indian Chief. They all have some noise, worse when hot but not as loud as this. I am mechanically inclined as well so can repair anything that happens but I do not want to get stuck with more in it than I can get out of it. There are no others I can go see for comparison either. It almost sounds like it needs thicker oil!

I am concerned on the sounds. Definitely not a deep knock of any kind but similar to the noise I have heard on some XB9R "youtube videos" of folks asking what is wrong. Is it just the design of the motor? I have a video of it running (Colder warming up) at an idle. The video sounds pretty loud to me. I do not know if the forum allows links to youtube but here it is.
    https://youtu.be/5R-fCoYqQlU. We are going to look/ride again tomorrow. It looks brand new. My son wants it. I just do not know..... 15 years old, limited parts, kind of an odd bike (all the things that attract us to these bikes). Any advice is appreciated. buell.jpg
    Last edited by nklem; 09-21-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added Photo