Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time Buyer 2003 XB9R, Noises?

I tell you what, if some one has a complete but unusable front engine mount they can send me ? I have an idea on how to repair them as good or better than a new one. If it works, I'll send it back to you for just the cost of repairing it which, should run about $50-75 plus shipping.

Thanks again. Please welcome the newest member of our family!

Here are the pics. I did confirm with a pipe that the noise is lifter related. They sound like solid ones. The bike goes great. Again, thanks for the advice. You helped a lot with the decision. I followed him home with the car. The sound from that exhaust gave me goose bumps!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nklem View Post
    Here are the pics. I did confirm with a pipe that the noise is lifter related. They sound like solid ones. The bike goes great. Again, thanks for the advice. You helped a lot with the decision. I followed him home with the car. The sound from that exhaust gave me goose bumps!
    The way I always looked at the lifter noise on a Buell was that if it decreased with heavy throttle as in when the oil pressure spikes, everything was fine. Spent many a Spring Ride wondering if something was broken on my Ulysses because I'd forgotten just how loud the valve train was over the winter. What I said about riding it till it breaks , I really meant these things make some strange noises and such so unless it is very outlandish, I wouldn't be concerned. And definitely do the magnet in the oil tank trick for some peace of mind.

nklem- the only thing I would do to that bike is add a set of frame pucks. I’d also have those pucks custom painted to match the frame.

That bike looks mint!
    Nice find!

Does your son already have a motorcycle license? If not be a hero and enrol him in a MSF course!
    Definitely worth the money for experienced and novice riders!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    nklem- the only thing I would do to that bike is add a set of frame pucks. I’d also have those pucks custom painted to match the frame.

That bike looks mint!
    Nice find!

Does your son already have a motorcycle license? If not be a hero and enrol him in a MSF course!
    Definitely worth the money for experienced and novice riders!
    Yes we both got licensed 4 years ago and took the permit and advanced MSF classes. I will get some sliders for sure. Here’s a pic from our final drive tonight.93406EF3-DAAA-42C6-BBE8-7AB28A13482A.jpg
    35C93C9D-FAE8-4DE1-ADAB-07316224CE8A.jpeg
    Last edited by nklem; 09-23-2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Correct photos

Kids got loads of gear on.......way to raise him dad. Good job, enjoy the rides together.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Kids got loads of gear on.......way to raise him dad. Good job, enjoy the rides together.
    That is our standard. Jeans, boots, gloves, armored jacket and full face helmet at all times on any bike. It’s just not worth it for anything less. Crazy distracted drivers out there and our town is full of them from April to October (prime riding time). It was a cool 53 degrees last night. We have ridden on some plus 80 -90 degree days around town jacketless due to the heat but if it’s a longer trip we always gear up. We have everything from full leather to mesh (gloves and jackets) to make things as comfy as possible. He has the high vis glow in the dark helmet in the photo but also somedirt bike type helmets which are more open. His vanson is now too small. Anyone in the Market for like new Vanson size 42 full thickness leather jacket?

nklem...now that is a beautiful pair of bikes in a beautiful setting! Enjoy the father/son rides! I had several of those with my stepdad back in the day and am sure glad I have those memories now that he's gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12