Thread: 2005 XB12S Build

2005 XB12S Build

Hey guys not sure if this is the right place to post this but I thought I'd share my build as I go along. Picked up the bike in great shape but it wasn't running quite right so I got a great deal. It's a 2005 with just over 20,000 miles and was bone stock when I got it except it had an 08+XB/XR crank installed because of a failure of the original. Perfect for what I plan to do with the bike.

Basically how the bike sits now:

Cheesy pic of me holding the power plant:

After a bit of the Hammer Performance treatment I was able to wring this out of the bike:

If only the sound was a little more enjoyable out of the stock exhaust because it performs pretty darn well! If anyone can tell me why the exhaust valve is blipping at roughly 4300 and 6300 RPM and how to stop that from happening would be greatly appreciated. It's past the switching points and the RPM changes slightly depending on throttle position.

Here's a short list of the engine specs for that run:

Hammer Performance 1250 kit with 30 degree domed pistons
    Hammer Performance Crush Head Service with 1.900" Intake and 1.610" Exhaust
    Ported stock throttle body assembly (just opened up the runners to match the heads)
    2008+ crank assembly
    Denso Iridium IXU24 spark plugs
    Stock cams, exhaust, air box assembly, air filter, pushrods, lifters, and ignition
    Compression cranks about 190 PSI and was tuned on 92 octane ethanol free fuel at ~2,100 elevation

As cool as I think the stock exhaust is, the sound and weight of it are issues for me. Aaron pulled this out of his stash:

A "prototype" pipe from a popular exhaust manufacturer at the time. I briefly tested this and lost around peak 8 hp over the stock pipe at the time. This thing is ungodly loud as well. I'm thinking of modifying it with a different muffler to bring the DB level way down and bringing power back up to stock or better. Not sure what it's going to take.

I am going to be doing much more to the engine on this eventually but wanted to get it going for as cheap as I possibly could while still making respectable power. I have a bunch more planned for the engine on this bike.

Thanks guys!

Looks like fun! Just curious why you went with the 1250 kit but stock cams?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Looks like fun! Just curious why you went with the 1250 kit but stock cams?
    Cost. This was all used stuff we had lying around. If we had some cams on the shelf I'd likely have used those. I also wanted to put a build together that utilized as many stock components as possible for the guys on a budget.

Thats cool, I like the way you think. Thanks for posting!