Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else's bike buzzes in higher RPMs? (4.5-6k)

Anyone else's bike buzzes in higher RPMs? (4.5-6k)

New rider, and new-to-me bike which is an XB12SCg.

If I'm doing some spirited riding, I feel some vibrating/buzzing when taking the bike up between 4.5-6k rpm to shift.

Is this normal for our low-reving thunderstorm engines?

*note: this is particularly felt in 1st gear going into 2nd
    Last edited by AC_Schnitzel; 09-25-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Thats not even high RPM and ya, they shake a lot. Try not to lug it below 2500rpm that's how to kill a Buell.

If it bugs you, try different bars or softer grips? I don't know if those little bar end weights the I-4's have would help you?

Oh doesn't bug me... just wanted to make sure that was normal and that my mounts or something else needed to be replaced.

Thanks for the info!

Inactive
    If I'm doing some spirited riding, I feel some vibrating/buzzing when taking the bike up between 4.5-6k rpm to shift.

an air-cooled or liquid-cooled 45 degree V-twin absolutely positively CANNOT buzz. an impossibility. it can only "vibrate" or produce rocking-couple shaking. i could dazzle you with a wide array of reasons why an engine "buzzes" and which engines in particular prone to that phenomenon but an XB engine can't and won't. if your XB is "buzzing" at a particular rpm you've got a problem needing immediate attention from someone who thoroughly knows these bikes and also knows where to look and what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post

an air-cooled or liquid-cooled 45 degree V-twin absolutely positively CANNOT buzz. an impossibility. it can only "vibrate" or produce rocking-couple shaking. i could dazzle you with a wide array of reasons why an engine "buzzes" and which engines in particular prone to that phenomenon but an XB engine can't and won't. if your XB is "buzzing" at a particular rpm you've got a problem needing immediate attention from someone who thoroughly knows these bikes and also knows where to look and what to look for.
    Not one for semantics but I doubt something is wrong with my bike.

Would agree that it could be “vibrating” rather than buzzing.

You doubt there is anything wrong with your bike but you created a thread asking if it was normal ? Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    You doubt there is anything wrong with your bike but you created a thread asking if it was normal ? Hmmmm.
    Upon further research, it could be the engine mounts... or primary chain being too tight.

Are there any other symptoms that these two issues would bring up?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    quite typical for this site Josh....as if you and i didn't know that. LOL

i see his "research" continues along with more questions. we might have to call in Chuck on this one.

Attachment 10502
    Excuse my naivety and ignorance when it comes to motorcycles (and specifically Buells).

No need to sit on your high horse looking down on those seeking advice.

I appreciate your help either way. Thanks.

If people would list the area they're from it would help a lot. Then you would know who is around you that might be able to help or just give an opinion in person.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    If people would list the area they're from it would help a lot. Then you would know who is around you that might be able to help or just give an opinion in person.
    Right on -- added my location.

Hard to get across the problem over the internet obviously. Took a ride this morning and it definitely feels like vibration rather than a buzzing. Just a stronger vibration in the upper RPMs which are more pronounced in first gear than any other gears. I just have nothing to compare it to as I've never ridden another motorcycle, especially a 45deg V-Twin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast