Thread: Recently resurrected Buell - Sputtering, dies at idle

Recently resurrected Buell - Sputtering, dies at idle

The short list:
    - Bike stored for 10 years with fuel...Full of fuel.
    - new plugs, fuel, oil changed and engine was fogged before startup.
    - shortly after initial fire up bike ran great but threw codes for injectors and exhaust valve twice.
    - no more codes after first tank of fuel.
    - 1600 miles no issues.

Current issue:
    Was running the bike with ethanol because I hadn't found a better alternative close to home. Then I found non-ethanol fuel close by. My last fill up was the first without ethanol in 1000 miles. With this tankful, bike would initially crank but wouldn't fire immediately. A little throttle seemed necessary. On the way to work, the bike suddenly stumbled/sputtered so badly I left it home. Now the bike will not start without molesting the throttle and dies at idle almost immediately.

I'm planning on doing the following:
    - NGK Iridium Plugs / Wires / Pipercross Air Filter (already had em)
    - HPF fuel pump/strainer/pressure regulator

What Fuel filter does anyone suggest?
    Is there anything else I should focus on?
    Any insight would be helpful, and yes I should check my fuel pressure before pulling out the parts cannon...

We can all guess, (grounds, FP, battery) but do you have any tools that would help diagnose the bike? ECMDroid is a good start.
    The fuel story is interesting and all, but there aren't enough clues across the internet to even know if you should be looking at electrical, fuel, or air?

Inactive
    Bike stored for 10 years with fuel...Full of fuel.
    - new plugs, fuel, oil changed and engine was fogged before startup.
    - shortly after initial fire up bike ran great but threw codes for injectors and exhaust valve twice.
    - no more codes after first tank of fuel.
    - 1600 miles no issues.

you got incredibly lucky it ran that long. fuel pump failure and clogged filters. hence fault codes 23&32.

With this tankful, bike would initially crank but wouldn't fire immediately. A little throttle seemed necessary. On the way to work, the bike suddenly stumbled/sputtered so badly I left it home. Now the bike will not start without molesting the throttle and dies at idle almost immediately.

again....failing fuel pump and clogged filters.

What Fuel filter does anyone suggest?
    Is there anything else I should focus on?

no mention of year or mileage which is typical on here.
    i'm now seeing these pump assemblies fail at an alarming rate. all due to age....garbage ethanol fuel....extended down-time between rides. and "repairing" them online has become exhausting so i'm calling it quits. go to my avatar...click on "find latest posts" and scroll thru a few postings to FUEL PUMP. on that thread i have listed every pump motor kit....filters....O-rings...filter bushings...correct rebuild procedures...part numbers....fuel level sensor factory part #....all the little tricks to know when servicing this simple device.
    replace the fuel level sensor or you'll be sorry. list is $14. infinite amount in dealer system.
    IF PUMP REMOVAL/INSTALLATION and rebuilding CORRECTLY seems daunting simply buy new.
    click link below. sean did a beautiful job with pics and assorted info. READ IT!
    spark plugs: NGK DCPR8EIX for stock...................NGK DCPR9EIX one range cooler.
    LASTLY....you will need to educate yourself and spend time thoroughly going thru the bike and carefully cleaning and checking every single ground wire. i have repeatedly listed on here the location of all of them. and check closely under the airbox base plate for vermin activity. they LOVE those bundled wires atop the motor in that vicinity.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...-from-HD/page2
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-02-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks Cooter and Lunatic.
    I feel like a complete gumby...didn't even share the details on the bike.

07 XB12STT 5200 miles when it was resurrected, sitting at 6800 currently.
    Bike is PLAIN JANE STOCK.

I will go through the grounds again, cover the above mentioned bases and will keep you informed of the progress.
    I'm truly grateful that we still have a community around these bikes. Thanks for all the part numbers and leg work you've done in the past to simplify my ordeal.