Thread: XB12X 2006 ULY Charging issues, testing done, what next??

Threaded View

XB12X 2006 ULY Charging issues, testing done, what next??

What to do next??? I've read as much as I can find before posting, replacing the fuel filter was a challenge but easy once I was in there. I'm not familiar with vehicle mechanics but usually work most things out with a good guide.

Charging system fault. Details of symptoms and tests below, I’m assuming a new stator is on order, or a rewind from Custom Rewind.

Will I need a new regulator as well, is it best to replace both together?

Is there a solid test for the regulator, one poster said even fried regs cold still show correct readings?

Are there any aftermarket parts or do they need to be OEM Buell?

--

Bike is not charging battery, new battery installed (DEKA 220CCA), same results after a few rides. Failure to crank, needs recharging.

Checked so far:

GROUNDS:
    Steering head, main coil cable, 2 by battery on seat rail - all cleaned and sealed tight with dialectric grease. New heavy gauge cable run from main ground cable beneath airbox to battery negative terminal as per mod fond on this forum. The steering head ground was loose causing headlight issues and blown fuses, maybe this caused the stator issues??

BATTERY:
    Freshly charged, showing 12.5V, drops to 10v on start, does not go above 12v when revved indicting faulty charging system.

STATOR 3 prong connector:
    Stator connector showing melted plastic on 2 pins
    Continuity check, all 3 pins to each other, ohms - READS ZERO ohms
    Ground check for each pin, ohms - READS 1, no reading
    Checking AC - 20V at idle, raised to 30V at 1500/2000 rpm.
    IMG_3587.jpg

- VOLTAGE REGULATOR:
    2 pin connector - showing slight melting of plastic on one pin
    READS 25.8V across both pins and to chassis ground.
    IMG_3584.jpg

Also possible short from bare wire rubbing, not sure what connector this is.
    IMG_3582.jpg

And where do I get teh seal for the primary cover and new seals/gaskets for the gear shifter, etc??

Also been having slight surging, but not stuttering when running at even speeds or low revs. Have replaced fuel filter and screen, fixed split filter inlet seal, new spark plugs and cables, breather mod done, countless TPS resets, breather mod (is this still a thing???) Hoping this will clear up when electrical fault fixed, if not injectors to be cleaned, maybe new O2 sensor??

Sorry to load several problems into one post but I tough they may be connected.
    Last edited by Gingahippy; 09-26-2018 at 06:21 PM.